1994 Cleveland Browns discussion

74_75_78_79_

1994 Cleveland Browns discussion

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The only playoff year for Belichick in Cleveland, an 11-5 wild card. The 'jewel' of that regular season, of course, was that win late in the season at Big D! Nick Saban was Hoodie's right-hand-man, thus, this being the closest we ever got to a Saban/Switzer head-to-head showdown. And then in the 1st Rd, the Browns win at home against the Pats and Belichick's former mentor, Parcells.

They beat Tuna's Pats during the regular season as well! They dropped them to 3-6 whilst upping their own mark to 7-2. NE would win the rest of their regular season games from there thus earning that 5-spot!

The following week, in a battle of 7-2s, Cleveland would peak record-wise at 8-2 with a win over Philly thus sending Kotite's bunch on that infamous slide, losing the rest of their games.

But Cleveland couldn't beat Cowher's Steelers who thrept them. Going into that divisional round, I was worried. Cowher was still ISO his first post-season win, and I simply figured that the Steelers, as tough as they were down-the-stretch, were not good enough to complete the hat-trick. But complete it, they did! They beat them, 29-9! I was delivering pizzas during the game. One of the guys I delivered to was wearing an official home Steelers jersey (forgot the #/player). Of course he gave me a good tip and said, "As long as they got Testaverde, I'll never worry when we play them!"

The following off-season, the Browns were picked by some to make SBXXX. But obviously not to be...

Thoughts?
JohnTurney

Re: 1994 Cleveland Browns discussion

Post by JohnTurney »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:11 pm T
The following off-season, the Browns were picked by some to make SBXXX. But obviously not to be...

Thoughts?
Good team, with good special teams -- good disciplined defense, When Belichick got there he fit the personnel --- used a 4-3, but still had some two-gap principles ... brought in vets who knew it

MD Perry got a little disgruntled but he still made big plays.

Watching old games of them, just what you'd expect, grinders on offense. Gamebamager Qbs

SB was a bit much, but moving the team midseason did hurt them in 1995. team was in upheaval ....
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Watching old games of them, just what you'd expect, grinders on offense. Gamemanager Qbs
Testaverde wasn't that good that year. He really didn't turn it around until he joined forces with Marchibroda in Baltimore.

As for Perry, him and fellow Brown DT James Jones would go to Denver the following year. Perry had six sacks and should have made the Pro Bowl in 95 (he made it the next year despite only having 3.5 sacks. He should have been cut after the 96 season). As for James Jones, he went to the Ravens after a year with the Broncos.

As for Belichick, I wonder why they didn't consider drafting Sapp after Kyle Brady went off the board in the 1995 draft because they lost both starting DT's (I know that there were drug rumors, but still).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Pedestrian offense but had Michael Jackson not had injury problems--he played well in 1993 and 95--maybe they dont overspend for Andre Rison, who had a bad year in 95. Modell was simply overwhelmed by the salary cap and free agent player movement but to move the team? Not a popular decision but at least Tagliabue allowed for the new franchise to retain the name rights and "history" ...

Thrept ... I like that word. Eric Turner on defense had an underrated career.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:14 pm

Watching old games of them, just what you'd expect, grinders on offense. Gamemanager Qbs
Testaverde wasn't that good that year. He really didn't turn it around until he joined forces with Marchibroda in Baltimore.

As for Perry, him and fellow Brown DT James Jones would go to Denver the following year. Perry had six sacks and should have made the Pro Bowl in 95 (he made it the next year despite only having 3.5 sacks. He should have been cut after the 96 season). As for James Jones, he went to the Ravens after a year with the Broncos.

As for Belichick, I wonder why they didn't consider drafting Sapp after Kyle Brady went off the board in the 1995 draft because they lost both starting DT's (I know that there were drug rumors, but still).
I think it was a positive test for pot, not just rumors ...

Vinny just a game manager then... that year ... as you say improved a lot under Marchibroda ... Rypien filled in, too.

Don't think they were great, but VT got out game-managed by Neil O'Donnell --- that was odd game, Steelers ran all over them, rotating backs ...
wasn't a great performance. Oddly, had they played decently, they could have beaten Chargers, I mean, possibly ... not any kind of sure thing but
but for the weaker conference ... anyone could have come out face Niners
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:11 pm But Cleveland couldn't beat Cowher's Steelers who thrept them. Going into that divisional round, I was worried. Cowher was still ISO his first post-season win, and I simply figured that the Steelers, as tough as they were down-the-stretch, were not good enough to complete the hat-trick. But complete it, they did! They beat them, 29-9! I was delivering pizzas during the game. One of the guys I delivered to was wearing an official home Steelers jersey (forgot the #/player). Of course he gave me a good tip and said, "As long as they got Testaverde, I'll never worry when we play them!"
94 was the first time Pittsburgh swept the Browns since 1981

Week 2 was a rare win at CLE: they had gone from 1-11 from 1982-1993 (and that doesn’t include when they almost met in the 89 AFC CG)

Cowher started 0-2 in the Dawg Pound, including the previous year’s Eric Metcalf game