Jason Kelce

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Jason Kelce

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Canton First Ballot, or not?
rebelx24

Re: Jason Kelce

Post by rebelx24 »

I would say unlikely, just by virtue of him being an interior lineman. Just going by the historical pattern here. Note that Dermontti Dawson, who has a similar resume, didn’t make it in until his seventh try. Then again, Kelce won a ring and Dawson didn’t, so maybe that makes a difference. Who knows?
pgconboy

Post by pgconboy »

Based solely on historical center precedent, unlikely.

Taking into account the popularity and availability of all22 film, his media presence, personality, on field play, accolades, SB, along with what appears to be a fairly soft retiring class, I would say fairly likely ~80%.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:51 pm Canton First Ballot, or not?
I think he will. I don't think past precedent means it is a fait accompli that he won't be, i.e. Mike Webster wasn't so Kelce won't and so on. Voters will see his All-Pros, his body of work in terms of being about to get out and block (eye test) plus his value in changing the game and a ring.

Only thing possible ... and it is doubtful .. is 4 first-ballot types in the previous couple of years will create some backlog for guys who were waiting ... the only negative I can think of is he wasn't All-Decade ... but cannot see that as an issue ... but a center backlog? Kalil, Pouncey and Mack?
I guess they could fight it out and then here comes Kelce a 4th center and some sentiment of put in guys who waited longer, but there resumes are not where Kelce's are.

Some guys just stand out even at interior offensive line. Kelce is one, Zach Martin will be first ballot they are rare exceptions, IMO.

But, hey, I've been wrong before and could be on this.

2024-03-09_12-13-36.jpg
2024-03-09_12-13-36.jpg (202.29 KiB) Viewed 8375 times
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

of the ones you have listed in yellow john how many of them have legit hof cases
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:41 pm of the ones you have listed in yellow john how many of them have legit hof cases
Honestly don't know. I think "cases" is on thing. "Legit cases?" maybe only Kelce ... the way things
have gone. Seems like 2-3 All-Pros even with a lot of Pro Bowls doesn't get you there -- to Canton.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Possibly only Kelce and Pouncey, though I am hoping for Nalen. Hilgenberg is penalized for enough Bears from that 85' team already elected ...
rebelx24

Post by rebelx24 »

I sure wish more of those players would make it in. Hilgenberg, Hull, Nalen, Mangold, and Pouncey are the strongest candidates IMO. Pouncey isn’t eligible for a couple more years; we’ll see how he does once he’s up.

Just in general, I still have trouble understanding why so few centers and guards make it (and, on the other side of the ball, d-tackles of various types, but especially NTs).

I know Kelce didn’t make the last all-decade team (I personally would have chosen him over Mack), but he has a chance to make the 2020s team, having had four superlative years in this calendar decade. He would definitely make one of those theoretical mid-decade to mid-decade teams. Definitely the league’s best center during the timeframe of his career.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With nose/shade tackles, the only number to truly go on is tackles/assists/tfl ... there is no gauge for how many blockers and legal clips they absorb. Same with defensive tackles who can at least get to the QB with sacks or tackles. In terms of tackles, Tim Krumrie is probably ahead of every tackle regardless of deployment but wont make the HOF ... Jethro Pugh has over 100 sacks with the Cowboys but no accolades. These guys deserve better ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

First ballot or not I could care less. Kelce will be in Canton.