More fodder. . .

rhickok1109

Re: More fodder. . .

Post by rhickok1109 »

This thread should have been titled "Get Off My Lawn" :)== :D
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

RichardBak wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:47 pm I was just looking at some pix from SABR's analytics conference. I don't think I could spot one presenter or attendee who looked to be older than 30. And to be honest, most of them looked like the kind of guys who always got picked last on the playground, if they played at all. They're into the geekness/numbers/whatever, not the physicality or competition or beauty of the game. Analytics has killed baseball. In fact, my nephew's oldest son just finished his BA in sports analytics (I'm not sure that's exactly what the program's called) and while he's a nice kid, he's never been athletic and has never had any interest in actually playing sports. Yet he hopes to land some kind of job in some front office.
Agreed. The analytics don't take into account such things as to who had responsibility on the play. Sometimes it isn't easy to tell. They also cannot measure emotional impact like confidence and heart.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I've not been one to complain, generally, about efforts to make the game safer but this might be a turning point for me: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-bans-hip-d ... 02401.html

I don't remember even hearing the term "hip-drop tackle" before last year. I seem to recall making a comment in a different thread that "to me, a 'hip-drop tackle' is just a type of tackle." The kind that players have been making since our favorite form of football was invented.

It doesn't even sound like the league even knows how to properly define what a "hip-drop tackle" is! I can see this causing all SORTS of problems in the years to come. Ridiculous is what it is, if you ask me.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Results are in and for the most part the banning of the "hip-drop" tackle is NOT popular: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jj-watt-li ... 14790.html
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

rhickok1109 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am This thread should have been titled "Get Off My Lawn" :)== :D
We've always had dogs. So basically we don't have a lawn but a lunar landscape.

"Get off my lunar landscape!"