John Hadl to Packers in 1973?

7DnBrnc53

John Hadl to Packers in 1973?

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

According to this link, there were rumors put out by the Milwaukee Sentinel (in their Jan. 2, 1973 edition) that John Hadl would be traded from the Chargers to the Packers (which Devine denied):

https://www.newspapers.com/article/port ... 115643273/

Never heard of this. It's interesting considering what happened.
JohnTurney

After Hadl to Rams

Post by JohnTurney »

Gabriel wanted a trade ---- wanted Washington ... Allen interested but they didn't have what Eagles had in terms of draft capital
Citizen

Re: John Hadl to Packers in 1973?

Post by Citizen »

It indicates that Hadl was being shopped around, considering that it was just a couple weeks later that he was sent to L.A. I don't doubt that the Packers were at least contacted.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Here's a clipping from the Green Bay Press-Gazette of the same date with a little more detail:
https://www.newspapers.com/article/gree ... 142058295/
JohnTurney

Re: After Hadl to Rams

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:39 pm Gabriel wanted a trade ---- wanted Washington ... Allen interested but they didn't have what Eagles had in terms of draft capital
realized forgot the first part or accidentally deleted it ... Gabriel wanted that after Rams acquired Hadl
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Citizen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 am It indicates that Hadl was being shopped around, considering that it was just a couple weeks later that he was sent to L.A. I don't doubt that the Packers were at least contacted.
Yes ... Hadl wanted out, wanted to go to a winner, said he though he had six or so years left. Bears asked about him. Packers denied it, as has been pointed out, but that would have made sense. They were in playoffs in 1972, QB was weak spot. Then they got him in 1974, for a king's ransom, all for a guy with a bad back that was affecting his arm.

Hadl was reported to have been offered to Oilers along with Deacon Jones for Pastorini and Elvin Bethea. The Houston GM made a joke about it, I guess not thinking it could have been serious.

They could have been other rumors ... but yeah, "shopped around" is the perfect phrase.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JohnTurney wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:39 pm
Citizen wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 am It indicates that Hadl was being shopped around, considering that it was just a couple weeks later that he was sent to L.A. I don't doubt that the Packers were at least contacted.
Yes ... Hadl wanted out, wanted to go to a winner, said he though he had six or so years left. Bears asked about him. Packers denied it, as has been pointed out, but that would have made sense. They were in playoffs in 1972, QB was weak spot. Then they got him in 1974, for a king's ransom, all for a guy with a bad back that was affecting his arm.

Hadl was reported to have been offered to Oilers along with Deacon Jones for Pastorini and Elvin Bethea. The Houston GM made a joke about it, I guess not thinking it could have been serious.

They could have been other rumors ... but yeah, "shopped around" is the perfect phrase.
According to the book Oiler Blues, Pastorini was close to being traded to Kansas City in 1973 as well (I forget who the Oilers would have gotten in return).