Chris Mortensen's TSN column about the Bills (2-22-93)

7DnBrnc53

Chris Mortensen's TSN column about the Bills (2-22-93)

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

After their third SB loss, Chris Mortensen wrote a column about the Bills (in the 2-22-93 edition of The Sporting News)with quotes from Ernie Accorsi. Ernie said that the Browns overreacted after losing twice to Denver in the AFC Title Game, and tried to make too many changes (one that he regretted was trading Earnest Byner to Washington for Mike Oliphant).

What's funny is that Mortensen seemed to disagree. He didn't agree with the firing of Bill Polian (I agree with him), but he said that they should trade away Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or both (I agree with the trade of Thomas. They should have sent Thomas and Andre Reed to the Cardinals for their first and second round draft picks).
Brian wolf

Re: Chris Mortensen's TSN column about the Bills (2-22-93)

Post by Brian wolf »

They may have traded Thomas or Reed but they wouldnt have made their 4th straight SB game. Thomas had a career game against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship. They led the Cowboys at the half in the SB but turnovers killed them in the second half. I felt getting rid of Lofton before that year was a mistake. Beebe had speed but dropped too many balls.
Bryan

Re: Chris Mortensen's TSN column about the Bills (2-22-93)

Post by Bryan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:07 pm After their third SB loss, Chris Mortensen wrote a column about the Bills (in the 2-22-93 edition of The Sporting News)with quotes from Ernie Accorsi. Ernie said that the Browns overreacted after losing twice to Denver in the AFC Title Game, and tried to make too many changes (one that he regretted was trading Earnest Byner to Washington for Mike Oliphant).

What's funny is that Mortensen seemed to disagree. He didn't agree with the firing of Bill Polian (I agree with him), but he said that they should trade away Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or both (I agree with the trade of Thomas. They should have sent Thomas and Andre Reed to the Cardinals for their first and second round draft picks).
Wow, that's one of the worst hot takes I've ever seen....comparable to Paul Maguire saying the Raiders need to move Marcus Allen to WR after drafting him from USC. We just went to our third Super Bowl in a row, but lets trade away our HOF QB and our HOF RB for draft picks. Not really sure how that improves the team. The Bills went to another Super Bowl IRL, so....