JOE NAMATH vs LEN DAWSON

RichardBak

Re: JOE NAMATH vs LEN DAWSON

Post by RichardBak »

...and he wore white shoes! The horror of it!

(Now that I think about it, so did my dad, with a powder blue leisure suit and white belt, straight off the rack at Montgomery Wards. Ahhh, dem were da days.)
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Imagine if Dawson and Namath had switched teams?

I still believe both would have won championships because Weeb Ewbank believed in pass protection, yet Namath might have won two with that great defense on the Chiefs. Had Namath been with KC, I believe Burford and Otis Taylor would have made the HOF because Stram would have let Namath fling the ball around Municipal Stadium like Mahomes does now in Arrowhead ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Dawson definitely had a stronger defense behind him. Six of KC's players were inducted to the Hall of Fame: Buck Buchannon, Emmitt Thomas, Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Curly Culp, Johnny Robinson.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Everyone can debate Namath's career on end, but one thing is perfectly clear ... as soon as his favorite receiver George Sauer Jr. retired from the Jets after the 1970 season, Namath's career changed dramatically ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Sidebar question... Who, now, is the greatest QB in Chiefs history? Is it safe to say.......? Or does he need "just one more"?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I feel, despite different eras, its Mahomes because he owns Arrowhead Stadium and has the SBs rings.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:14 pm ...and he wore white shoes! The horror of it!

(Now that I think about it, so did my dad, with a powder blue leisure suit and white belt, straight off the rack at Montgomery Wards. Ahhh, dem were da days.)
At least my leisure suit was nave blue.
I think mine was J.C. Penny but same difference.
(And yes, white shoes...)

As far as Joe vs Lenny goes it might have more to do with the personal preference of the debater.
I'm probably more conservative and would prefer Dawson and his 3 AFL Championships but it is difficult to ignore Namath and Super Bowl III (not to mention the 4,000 yard season).
And while I agree that Chiefs D was better (and probably one of the best of the era if not ever) the Jets defense was nothing to ignore either.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JuggernautJ wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:08 pm
RichardBak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:14 pm ...and he wore white shoes! The horror of it!

At least my leisure suit was nave blue.
I think mine was J.C. Penny but same difference.
(And yes, white shoes...)

As far as Joe vs Lenny goes it might have more to do with the personal preference of the debater.
I'm probably more conservative and would prefer Dawson and his 3 AFL Championships but it is difficult to ignore Namath and Super Bowl III (not to mention the 4,000 yard season).
And while I agree that Chiefs D was better (and probably one of the best of the era if not ever) the Jets defense was nothing to ignore either.

Yeah, if only Len had been a bit more stylish....

green-leisure-suit.jpg
green-leisure-suit.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Youre right JuggernautJ,* the Jets defense was outstanding, but only from 1968-69. The front seven was very good from 1966 onward but their secondary was bad, thats why they signed the black-balled, Johnny Sample, one of the best moves Weeb Ewbank ever made. The Jets got lucky getting Jim Hudson for their defense as well and they jelled as a unit quickly.

The Chiefs defense stayed outstanding top to bottom from 1967 onward. Beating the Jets in the second matchup in 1967 kept the Jets from winning the division.

*Sorry JuggernautJ, got you confused with Richard due to the picture reference.
Last edited by Brian wolf on Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha ... that is not Joe Namath in the piss green suit!