2023/24 Super Bowl

Jay Z

Re: 2023/24 Super Bowl

Post by Jay Z »

RichardBak wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:26 pm I long ago came to the conclusion that, more often than not, the best team doesn't win the championship. Too many variables--weather, bad calls, lucky bounce, playoff seeding, injuries, etc.---that are out of a team's control and cancel out the opponent's superior talent. I don't think some of the NE or KC teams were the best in their respective SB winning years any more than the '67 Packers or '70 Colts were, for instance. The thing w/ football is that it's always been one-and-done. I think the NBA, NHL, and MLB give a truer sense of the best team by virtue of playing a series of games: best-of-3 or -5 or -7.
I really don't agree.

Too many emotional and physical elements to football. It's not a turn taking game like baseball. You can use different personnel, call different plays, and you'd better be in the moment emotionally or you are sunk. I have seen too many teams follow leadership patterns of the coach or QB to chalk it all up to luck. A lot of it isn't.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:26 pm I long ago came to the conclusion that, more often than not, the best team doesn't win the championship. Too many variables--weather, bad calls, lucky bounce, playoff seeding, injuries, etc.---that are out of a team's control and cancel out the opponent's superior talent. I don't think some of the NE or KC teams were the best in their respective SB winning years any more than the '67 Packers or '70 Colts were, for instance. The thing w/ football is that it's always been one-and-done. I think the NBA, NHL, and MLB give a truer sense of the best team by virtue of playing a series of games: best-of-3 or -5 or -7.
To me there are pros and cons of "one and done" playoffs and ones that make room for series. Overall I actually prefer the way the N.F.L. does it. I've seen teams (particularly in the NBA) vomit all over themselves in single games in playoff series seemingly believing that "it's okay - we'll get 'em next time" while in football you don't have that next chance. Yeah, that makes for disappointing outcomes when teams that truly believe they have what it takes to win the championship get eliminated but it also doesn't leave much (if any) room for excuses. You had ONE chance going in, and you knew it. If you couldn't get it done - too bad, so sad. See ya next year!
Mark

Post by Mark »

If the NFL had a best of format it may become more of a war of attrition than who is the best team.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Unfortunately, especially in this age of free agency, thats why the QB is remembered almost as much as the team itself in a one-and-done format. Most people will remember Mahomes, without remembering even five of his teammates.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Oh, I'm not advocating for some kind of best-of series for the NFL. For one thing, the playoffs would go on until Easter. I don't think there'd be anybody standing at the end.

That said, if would be interesting to imagine the '68 Jets and Colts playing a 7-game series. I wonder how that would turn out?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha, the NFL press was so salty and sour-grapish after the Jets won, that they stated the Colts would beat the Jets 9 out of 10 times, in which Shula, replied " yeah but there was only one, and the Jets won it"...
JWL

Post by JWL »

RichardBak wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:53 pm Oh, I'm not advocating for some kind of best-of series for the NFL. For one thing, the playoffs would go on until Easter. I don't think there'd be anybody standing at the end.

That said, if would be interesting to imagine the '68 Jets and Colts playing a 7-game series. I wonder how that would turn out?
Maybe the 2007 Patriots after losing Super Bowl Game 1 17-14 would have won the final four games of their 7-game series with the Giants and would have finished the season with a 28-1 record. This is assuming 4-game sweeps in the divisional and championship game rounds along with numerous weeks off while waiting for the other divisional series and NFC championship series to play as those each go to 7-game series. Yeah, what a nightmare that would be. The draft would get pushed back to June.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

sheajets wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:51 pm
RichardBak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am Here's my dream match-up for SB 59, now that the media has already decided on the 3-peat story line.....

The Detroit Lions, finally making their first-ever SB appearance, vs the Chiefs, looking to be the first to win 3 straight SB. Might not even need a romance angle.

I still find it odd that only the Packers have won 3 straight championships in the "modern" (since 1933) NFL era. (I know, I know, Browns won 5 straight including 4 in the AAFC, but the NFL doesn't count those.) Hockey, baseball, and basketball all have had several teams win 3 or more championships in a row. I'm thinking Yankees, Canadiens, Celtics. Some pretty long dynasties.
The always forgotten one

1972, 1973, 1974 Oakland Athletics
More recently, the New York Yankees won three straight World Series in 1998, 1999, and 2000.

The Los Angeles Lakes won three straight NBA titles in 2000, 2001, and 2002.

For the NHL, the most recent was the New York Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 to 1984 and the Montreal Canadiens won four in a row from 1976 to 1979.