Pro Football Hall of Fame, Class of 2024 talk

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Ness

Post by Ness »

2024 Class:

🏈Julius Peppers
🏈Devin Hester
🏈Dwight Freeney
🏈Andre Johnson
🏈Patrick Willis
🏈Steve McMichael
🏈Randy Gradishar

Good group I'd say. Glad my guy Willis got in. Still pulling for Craig sooner rather than later.

Andre Johnson this early was a bit of a surprise, but I'm glad he made it. Thought Holt would go first.

Randy was long overdue. OG Broncos fans are happy.
Brian wolf

Re: Pro Football Hall of Fame, Class of 2024 talk

Post by Brian wolf »

I am happy for the players but still couldnt believe the senior and coach rejections. If Gonzalez got in first ballot, why couldnt Gates? Witten wont either, so Gronk should be the next first ballot tight end.

Never thought Freeney would go in before J Allen but he jumps ahead anyway. Next year will be another clean-up year, with Gates, Woodson, Holt, Allen and Anderson being the next players in line at their respective positions.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I'd be interested in hearing some justification for not enshrining Buddy Parker.
James

Post by James »

So happy that Andre Johnson got in. My late wife Christy was a huge Texans fan and pretty much saw almost all his games. Was a total beast and one hell of a receiver. Congrats to Andre.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Does Art Powell not getting in break a streak? Who was the last Senior Finalist not to get in before this? Thanks.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:07 am Does Art Powell not getting in break a streak? Who was the last Senior Finalist not to get in before this? Thanks.
Dick Stanfel in 2012
Stanfel was chosen again by the Senior Committee a few years later, after he died. He made the HOF that time.

Paul Tagliabue was the last coach/contributor to not receive the 80% vote in 2017. Tags was elected as part of the Centennial Class.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks @conace21!
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

conace21 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:59 am
TanksAndSpartans wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:07 am Does Art Powell not getting in break a streak? Who was the last Senior Finalist not to get in before this? Thanks.
Dick Stanfel in 2012
Stanfel was chosen again by the Senior Committee a few years later, after he died. He made the HOF that time.

Paul Tagliabue was the last coach/contributor to not receive the 80% vote in 2017. Tags was elected as part of the Centennial Class.
If I remember right, the same thing happened to Jerry Kramer before he was finally inducted.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

There is speculation that younger voters were turned off to Buddy Parker quitting, resigning from his two teams before their seasons started in 1957 and 1965. This, alcoholism and possibly team rascism might be keeping him out but other coaches, like Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, even Bill Belichick(Jets) have quit or left their teams but still made the HOF.

The scrutiny of todays game, with so many new coaches, team coaches and emphasis on high draft picks, with QBs being thrown in before theyre ready, makes it much too difficult to resign on your team suddenly but it was different back in the 50s and early 60s. When Parker resigned with Detroit and Pittsburgh, he had field generals like Layne and Ed Brown running the offensive teams. There were only 2-4 assistant coaches, so you could hand over the team to a quality assistant, like Wilson taking over the Lions or Vince Lombardi handing the team over to Phil Bengston in 1968. In 1999, Jimmy Johnson hired Dave Wannstedt to help with the Dolphins, knowing he wasnt going to coach much longer, but despite only nine years coaching, still made the HOF. Even Don Shula, who many think is the greatest coach of all-time, quit the Colts to go to Miami, at least thats what Rosenbloom claimed at the time and got compensation for it.
Last edited by Brian wolf on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

"Parker is the last Lions head coach to get another head coaching job in the NFL."

George Wilson but I guess the AFL doesn't count?