Hard To Find Info Online

Cali_Eagle

Hard To Find Info Online

Post by Cali_Eagle »

The recent Shelby question inspired me to ask the following...

Has anyone ever reconstructed the stats of Charles Follis from Newspaper Accounts? I'd be curious if the answer is "yes they have". Love to see the results of that... done for him and several other players of "Ohio League" vintage Thorpe Guyon Calac Fritz Pollard too, including ALL their "OL" games. And Pollard's Anthracite League stats. Also, would like to see Red Grange & Ernie Nevers (Benny Friedman too, I think he barnstormed a little) stats from their barnstorming days.

Just to be Crystal Clear....

I'm NOT asking or expecting anyone to DO this...! I just wonder if it's been done and where I might find some or all of this, if it has. Nevers college stats at Stanford are something I have never been able to find anywhere. Would also like to find Box Scores for CFL Playoff games/rounds before Grey Cup, And WFL 1974-1975 Box Scores. Thanx to any & all that choose to reply.
Throwin_Samoan

Re: Hard To Find Info Online

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:12 am
I'm NOT asking or expecting anyone to DO this...! I just wonder if it's been done and where I might find some or all of this, if it has. Nevers college stats at Stanford are something I have never been able to find anywhere. Would also like to find Box Scores for CFL Playoff games/rounds before Grey Cup, And WFL 1974-1975 Box Scores. Thanx to any & all that choose to reply.
WFL box scores do exist, here and here.

The others, can't help you.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

For Nevers, there are two possibilities into which I'd check. On the Internet Archive, I'd look to see if Stanford printed media guides during that time. It's not likely, but Stanford printed some older ones. Secondly, Spalding had those football guides going way back - there might be some Nevers college stats in there. In fact, thinking about it, you might be able to find more of the info you're seeking in those Spalding guides.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Also, would like to see Red Grange & Ernie Nevers (Benny Friedman too, I think he barnstormed a little) stats from their barnstorming days.
For pre-statistical NFL seasons, this is a good summary:

https://profootballresearchers.com/arch ... 02-453.pdf
Has anyone ever reconstructed the stats of Charles Follis from Newspaper Accounts? I'd be curious if the answer is "yes they have". Love to see the results of that... done for him and several other players of "Ohio League" vintage Thorpe Guyon Calac Fritz Pollard too, including ALL their "OL" games. And Pollard's Anthracite League stats.
For Ohio League, Bob did another nice job here: https://profootballresearchers.com/arch ... 02-396.pdf

It's really difficult work. There was one pre-Ohio League game I was tempted to try because John Gammons had so many long runs, I felt his total yardage would have wound up in the 300-400 yard range, but I still didn't try it. The play-by-plays are difficult to read. I think some of Gammons big plays were on punt returns, but the writing style used makes it difficult to discern what was going on sometimes.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

Thanks to everyone that posted! I will pursue some of these avenues and see if I can get answers to some questions &/or curiosity I have had for a long time. 👍👍
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:12 am Would also like to find Box Scores for CFL Playoff games/rounds before Grey Cup
I have yet to find a source that includes box scores for CFL Playoff games, either in book form or online. CFL record keeping has been pretty hit and miss over the years. It would be a big undertaking but I'd love it if someone could deliver a comprehensive source. Something like that is way overdue.
argofan87

Post by argofan87 »

With respect to CFL boxscores, your best bet is, unfortunately, a subscription to a newspaper archive site. The CFL is having a terrible time getting their statistical stuff online
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

argofan87 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:28 pm With respect to CFL boxscores, your best bet is, unfortunately, a subscription to a newspaper archive site.
That's not unfortunate! That's some of the best money I spend every year! :)

Here are the 1976 East and West finals, for starters.

TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Throwin_Samoan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 pm That's not unfortunate! That's some of the best money I spend every year! :)
Ha, Ha - same here. I resisted subscribing for years thinking they were overcharging for something that should be free, but as the actual free sources started drying up, I gave in and now I look at it the same way. I get my money's worth from my subscription.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:15 am
Throwin_Samoan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 pm That's not unfortunate! That's some of the best money I spend every year! :)
Ha, Ha - same here. I resisted subscribing for years thinking they were overcharging for something that should be free, but as the actual free sources started drying up, I gave in and now I look at it the same way. I get my money's worth from my subscription.
Why did you think it should be free? Does it occur that the free sources dried up precisely because they were free and therefore non-sustainable?