random Overtime/Kicker question

Sonny9

Re: random Overtime/Kicker question

Post by Sonny9 »

Bob Gill wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:42 pm
Gary Najman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:15 pm I believe that O'Donoghue missed the shortest FG possible, as the ball was placed at the Giants 1-yard line. That 20-20 tie was considered for many years as the worst FG MNF game ever.
Two candidates I remember well, both involving the Redskins:

1. 1997's 7-7 tie against the Giants. Both teams actually had winning records that season, but this game featured 7 fumbles and 4 interceptions. The highlight came when Gus Frerotte head-butted the wall in the end zone after scoring the only Washington touchdown and had to leave the game. I think the Redskins also lost a chance for a game-winning field goal in overtime because somebody got an unsportsmanlike penalty with the ball pretty deep in the Giants' territory.

2. In 1986 the Redskins beat the 49ers 14-6 in a game that I'm pretty sure took more than four hours to play. Montana passed for more than 400 yards, but the 49ers lost more than 100 yards on penalties. As usual in those days, these were two good teams, but that was one dreary game.
Westbrook he took off his helmet to yell at a ref.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Sonny9 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 pm Westbrook he took off his helmet to yell at a ref.
Oh, yeah, that's right. Now that you've mentioned it, I can see it in my mind's eye.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I actually thought the 1986 Redskins-49ers game was a good defensive game. Both teams bent but never broke, despite good games from Rice and Clark for the 49ers. As usual, Bill Walsh didnt run the ball enough and put too much on Montana's shoulders. After recovering from back surgery, Montana was tired from throwing and moving around by the end of the game. The Redskins got interceptions at just the right time and people forget how great a pass rusher Dexter Manley was. Had he not had drug problems and injuries, he could have made the HOF, although teammates thought he was a selfish player ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:08 am The other candidate for worst MNF game at that point would have been 1975 Jets at Chargers. Namath is benched for JJ Jones for partying too much and the 1-11 Chargers beat the 3-9 Jets 24-16.
I humbly submit last night's Bears-Vikings game for consideration as worst MNF game ever.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:33 am
Jay Z wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:08 am The other candidate for worst MNF game at that point would have been 1975 Jets at Chargers. Namath is benched for JJ Jones for partying too much and the 1-11 Chargers beat the 3-9 Jets 24-16.
I humbly submit last night's Bears-Vikings game for consideration as worst MNF game ever.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 120tam.htm

It would take overtime for the 7-7 Packers to defeat the 2-12 Buccaneers in Tampa 12-9. This would be Bart Starr's last victory as Packer coach. This would be the 5th overtime game of the season for the Packers, a record that still stands. The Buccaneers started the season 0-9, the ninth loss being a 17-12 defeat in Pittsburgh where James Wilder set a record for most carries in a game and the Buccaneers won the turnover battle seven to zero. Since then they had won two games, include one with the Oilers that was a matchup of 1-11 teams.

The Packers never scored a TD as Lynn Dickey threw three INTs and lost a fumble. Jack Thompson matched Dickey's three INTs but managed to throw a 4 yard TD pass to Adger Armstrong that put the Bucs up 9-6. Kicker Bill Capece hit the crossbar - the crossbar - with the extra point so that's where the score stayed. Capece would get another chance after Beasley Reece returned Dickey's third INT into Packer territory, but his 35 yard attempt was "low and to the left." The Packers then drove down for a short Stenrud FG to tie the score at 9-9, and did the same after winning the OT toss.

Capece was asked to stay home for the Buccaneers' final game versus the Lions. Replacement David Warnke missed his only FG attempt and one of two extra points. Coach John McKay opted to use lineman George Yarno to kick the last extra point in a 23-20 loss to Detroit.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

That '83 game resulted in one of John McKay's better tirades. “Capece is kaput. We will not kick a field goal next week if we are on the 2-yard line, the 1-yard line, none.”
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Jay Z wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:57 pm
Bryan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:33 am
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 120tam.htm

It would take overtime for the 7-7 Packers to defeat the 2-12 Buccaneers in Tampa 12-9. This would be Bart Starr's last victory as Packer coach. This would be the 5th overtime game of the season for the Packers, a record that still stands. The Buccaneers started the season 0-9, the ninth loss being a 17-12 defeat in Pittsburgh where James Wilder set a record for most carries in a game and the Buccaneers won the turnover battle seven to zero. Since then they had won two games, include one with the Oilers that was a matchup of 1-11 teams.

The Packers never scored a TD as Lynn Dickey threw three INTs and lost a fumble. Jack Thompson matched Dickey's three INTs but managed to throw a 4 yard TD pass to Adger Armstrong that put the Bucs up 9-6. Kicker Bill Capece hit the crossbar - the crossbar - with the extra point so that's where the score stayed. Capece would get another chance after Beasley Reece returned Dickey's third INT into Packer territory, but his 35 yard attempt was "low and to the left." The Packers then drove down for a short Stenrud FG to tie the score at 9-9, and did the same after winning the OT toss.

Capece was asked to stay home for the Buccaneers' final game versus the Lions. Replacement David Warnke missed his only FG attempt and one of two extra points. Coach John McKay opted to use lineman George Yarno to kick the last extra point in a 23-20 loss to Detroit.
I'm wondering if he slipped or something for a ball to somehow hit a crossbar on an extra point.