Packers/Steelers history

74_75_78_79_

Packers/Steelers history

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

This afternoon will mark their 37th affair. Green Bay is up in the all-time series thus far. 20-16-0. Packers won their first two games over Pittsburgh in ’33 & ’35 - both at home - by respective scores of 47-0 and 27-0!

And, of course, both met in SBXLV.

The way that the Steelers have been playing thus far here in 2023, it’s sure hard for me to believe that they’re actually 5-3. Sort of reminds me of ’99, me not being too excited over that 5-3 start either. And we know how that turned out.

The ’23 defense, thus far though, seems quite better than that very Cowher installment that’d hit rock-bottom second-half of season. A win over Green Bay, which I don’t think is a shoe-in whatsoever (perhaps an upset-alert), would make the ’Burgh maybe one of the weaker 6-3 teams ever.

It would remind me of the season prior to the aforementioned ’99 campaign. When they beat the Pack at home on MNF to go 6-3. It wasn’t known at the time with six-straight playoff-berths, AFCCG host in ’97, but Steelers would turn out to not be that good in ’98 after all as seen in the collapse ahead.

A Steelers win over GB today would also remind me of when they beat them, yet again at home and also their ninth game, in 1980. Instead of bringing them to 6-3, it brought them to 5-4 instead, snapping a three-game losing-streak. A very uninspiring 22-20 win at home over a bad team. With Joe Greene recording his very first sack that year, it had to serve as further reminder - despite the ‘W’ - that the Dynasty was over, as basically put on the following SI cover story (11/10/80, LC on the cover, “Have the Steelers Had It?”).

Have a feeling today’s home game against a bad GB team will be such an uninspiring one as well - win or lose.

Thoughts? Other such meetings or historical mentions connecting both long-time franchises of winning tradition?
Jay Z

Re: Packers/Steelers history

Post by Jay Z »

Packers won the first nine games in this rivalry. Best matchup was probably a 24-21 game in 1942. Packers got 24-7 lead then held on. Three TD passes but none to Hutson. Packers and Steelers were both good but wound up being a Playoff Bowl scenario as Bears and Redskins had already clinched. This would be the first December home game the Packers played in the NFL.

Otherwise, I remember a 24-19 Packers victory in the last game of 1995. Yancy Thigpen dropped a late TD pass which allowed the Packers to win the division title. Also a 37-36 shootout in 2009, won by the Steelers.
racepug

Post by racepug »

The only notable meeting I can think of is that one S.B. (which I was VERY glad that G.B. won). I wouldn't call today's meeting "notable" (but I do expect PIT to win it).
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I should add about the 1942 game that it was the first year since 1923 that the Packers finished the regular season at home. It would be the last such occurrence until 1967, when the last Lombardi team lost in Green Bay, to the Steelers.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jay Z wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:49 am Packers won the first nine games in this rivalry.
My bad for not bringing up 9-0 as well. When looking at their history, by mistake I accidentally flip-flopped things, seeing that third affair of theirs, 34-14, as a Steeler (make that, Pirate) win.

I forgot that the Steelers had a winning record in '42. Their first ever.
Jay Z wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:19 pm I should add about the 1942 game that it was the first year since 1923 that the Packers finished the regular season at home. It would be the last such occurrence until 1967, when the last Lombardi team lost in Green Bay, to the Steelers.
Yep, losing to his old assistant, Austin. But Pack had division wrapped up, though.

Not a colossal amount of seasons in which both had winning records at the same time.

In the Lombardi Era, three times did both have winning records - '59, '62 & '63. They did meet in '63; Packers pummeled them at County, 33-14. An even-more lopsided result had they played each other the year before. With the Steelers finishing 6-5-1 in Lombardi's first year, it would have made for a nice match-up against his 7-5 installment.

In the '70s, just twice were both winners. GB gets annihilated had they met in '78, but the two squaring off in '72 would have been intriguing.

Both playing each other in '82 (even the year prior, both finishing 8-8) would have been nice. Same with '89. The reason why they didn't, of course, was because the Pack finished 5th-place in '88. Instead, it was players from both teams sharing via-satellite with each other during that final Monday Night!

Of course GB, Favre-to-Sharpe 76-yd-TD, burned the 'Burgh on Week #4, '92, handing Cowher his first loss. Both finished at 9-7 in '93. Could have made for an even match-up. Though most would disagree, I think Steelers were better in '95; better run-game and LB-ing. However, had the Steelers somehow got by Denver in the AFCCG two years later, I don't at all see them winning SBXXXII. Packers would have repeated.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I have the Brett Favre-led victory from 1992, his first starting win for GB. Both Sharpe and Brooks burned Rod Woodson on TD passes.

Had it not been for Packers dropped passes, especially by Jordy Nelson despite a great SB game, Rodgers and the team could had over 40 points in the win.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:10 pm Had it not been for Packers dropped passes, especially by Jordy Nelson despite a great SB game, Rodgers and the team could had over 40 points in the win.
Yes. That's why I never have said, "We should have won!" I was worried going into that game and the result confirmed things. The way they belted top-seed Falcons in Atl made me realize they were on fire and now the best team remaining.

Plus, Steelers were fortunate that Pats were knocked out of the way. Not a good NE defense, but it didn't matter. Belichick/Brady always had Steelers' #! They would have beaten them as always if Rex's Jets didn't do their thing. Just look at Pats belting Steelers at Heinz that Wk#10 Sunday Night (same old, same old)!

That said, even though NE did beat GB that regular season, I seriously feel that the Pack would have avenged things in a hypo-SBXLV match vs them!

Not just dropped passes, but GB had the injuries as well. So, sadly, it was always ZERO excuses for the 'Burgh not winning their seventh that year!

So with this win today over Green Bay (I wouldn't say "uninspiring", it was an exciting game; don't count Love out potential-wise), and Steelers now at 6-3, does this mean that they'll win just one more game then followed by a 5-game losing streak?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Steelers still showed grit in that SB loss to the Packers. Big Ben and Hines Ward brought them back but were hurt by the interceptions. Unfortunately, this loss also started a Steelers trend of lousy defensive efforts in postseason losses. Tomlin will deservedly make the HOF ... he can handle sensitive social media- minded athletes better than any coach but the team wasted alot of Bens remaining years, though Pickett is charging ahead with his career.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

How about Jock vs Curly, '47?

It'd be Curly's last winning season with Green Bay (though he'd win in his very final year-period, in DC, six years later) and tragically/unfortunately it'd be Sutherland's very last year obviously.

Week #7, the 4-1 Packers (having had a bye week Wk#1) would host the 4-2 Steelers in Milwaukee. The Steelers would win, 18-17, en route to their only pre-Noll playoff game at season's end.

This Packer loss started a skid that would drop them to 4-4-1 with the two other losses also being close. A shame considering that 4-1 start which did include beating the defending-Champ, Bears, in their first game along with giving the future-Champs, Cards, a good game in that defeat.

Yes, the Pack would rebound their next two after the skid to FWIW clinch that winning season, but maybe that Steeler-loss can be seen as what triggered their downfall, not being a winner again until Vince more than a decade later.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

How about 1983?

James Lofton caught 3 touchdowns but Pittsburgh held the ball for 41 minutes, ran for 285 yards and yet the largest lead was 9