2023 season, Week 9 review

racepug

2023 season, Week 9 review

Post by racepug »

1) The 'Stillers' managed to survive at home against TEN on Thursday, which is good for them as the rest of the A.F.C. North won their Week 9 games as well.

2) The Chiefs beat the Dolphins in Frankfurt, GER, holding the Dolphins to their lowest point total of the year to date (after building a 21 - 0 halftime lead). MIA is 6 - 3 this season but so far they are 0 - 3 against teams with winning records.

3) "Lady Luck" again appears to be in MIN's corner as the Vikings beat ATL on the road with a touchdown in the waning moments for their 4th win in a row.

4) The Browns bounce back after losing to SEA by beating a different N.F.C. West team (ARZ) and holding the Cardinals to their fewest yards on offense (58) in a game since 1955.

5) The Packers haven't impressed in the least this season but contrary to what I thought would happen they beat the Rams who could not overcome not having QB Matthew Stafford in the starting lineup.

6) The Texans beat one-win CAR behind a record-setting performance by rookie QB C.J. Stroud (Ohio State) who is currently proving his many doubters wrong.

7) The Patriots lose their 2nd straight, this one to the Commanders, who are trying to work their way out from under the black cloud of ownership in this first season post-Daniel Snyder.

8) In the preview for the week I mentioned that the Seahawks now appear to once again have a formidable defense but I wondered, aloud, if their offense could do enough for the 'hawks to beat BAL on the road this last Sunday. Well, I got the answer and it was an emphatic: "Nope!"

9) The Colts beat the Panthers on the road, helped in large part by the TWO pick-sixes by CB Kenny Moore II, the first time that's ever been accomplished by a Colts player (in one game).

10) The 'Iggles' survive a challenge by their division rivals from TX but just barely. Until the end of DAL's last drive it truly looked like PHI was providing a textbook example on "How to blow a game in the N.F.L."

11) Another game I called wrong was da Raaaaydaaahhhhs' romp over the pitiful NYG. I guess the Raiders' players felt a sense of relief after their head coach, Josh McDaniels, was let go mid-week and they let it show on Sunday (albeit against another poor team).

12) The Bengals are doing it again! Off to a slow start (once again) this season (at 1 - 3) they've now won 4 straight, the BUF Bills being their latest victims. As long as Joe Burrow stays healthy I believe that the Bengals are going to be a factor in the A.F.C. the rest of the season.

13) And tonight the Jets disappoint and lay an egg at home in losing to the L.A. Chargers 6 - 27. The Chargers score on a punt return and generally make life miserable for Jets QB Zach Wilson, sacking him a total of 8 times and keeping the hometown Jets out of the end zone.
JameisBrownston

Re: 2023 season, Week 9 review

Post by JameisBrownston »

The Texans beat Tampa Bay
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

A couple weird things stood out to me...

*Most of the teams in the NFL appear completely disorganized this year. Its starting to resemble MLB/NBA, where you have 1/3 of the league tanking, 1/3 of the league transitioning, and 1/3 of the league actually trying to win. The Saints are leading their terrible division despite have one of the dumbest coaches in Dennis Allen. The Saints were up 7 late in the 4th quarter against the Bears and had a 4th and 1 from the 17. Everyone assumes they kick the FG, go up 10, and win the game. Instead, Allen decides to go for it, calling a QB sneak...but with Derek Carr instead of Taysom Hill. The Bears stuff Carr and have a chance to win at the end.

*The Packers had two successful 4th down conversions against the Rams called back due to "offensive offsides" penalties on RG Jon Runyan. I thought was witnessing mass hysteria, as both the broadcast booth and corporate shill Dean Blandino defended both calls as being correct. The broadcast showed a presnap still in which Blandino claimed Runyan's helmet was in the neutral zone...ignoring the fact that every Rams helmet was also in the neutral zone. To me, it looked like every 4th down play I've witnessed in NFL history. It reminded me of the times Clay Matthews Jr. would get penalties for "sacking the QB". Its kind of funny how OTs can line up 5 yards off the LOS on passing downs and move 1 count before the snap...yet Runyan is getting called for lining up in the neutral zone on 4th and short? I assume this is some 'point of emphasis' handed down to officials to counter the tush push plays, but its absolute nonsense. Shame on Dean Blandino for being a complete fool as well.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bryan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:13 am *The Packers had two successful 4th down conversions against the Rams called back due to "offensive offsides" penalties on RG Jon Runyan. I thought was witnessing mass hysteria, as both the broadcast booth and corporate shill Dean Blandino defended both calls as being correct. The broadcast showed a presnap still in which Blandino claimed Runyan's helmet was in the neutral zone...ignoring the fact that every Rams helmet was also in the neutral zone. To me, it looked like every 4th down play I've witnessed in NFL history. It reminded me of the times Clay Matthews Jr. would get penalties for "sacking the QB". Its kind of funny how OTs can line up 5 yards off the LOS on passing downs and move 1 count before the snap...yet Runyan is getting called for lining up in the neutral zone on 4th and short? I assume this is some 'point of emphasis' handed down to officials to counter the tush push plays, but its absolute nonsense. Shame on Dean Blandino for being a complete fool as well.
The first penalty was confounding.
The second was maddening.
I turned off the game after that... NFL football is too frustrating to watch.
(And I am neither a Packers or Rams fan)

Whatever the reason for the absurd calls I am sick and tired of having the refs determine the outcome of virtually ever game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its surprising the offensive linemen got called at all. I am still seeing offensive tackles get away with false starts and holding every single game I watch and any time there is a borderline tackle or hit on defense--called or not--players are paying handily out of their wallets. Watching the game on monday night, I thought the refs would call 25 penalties but they slacked off once the Bengals took control.