1972 Topps football high numbers

Citizen

1972 Topps football high numbers

Post by Citizen »

Does anyone have all these? You might know that this was the last Topps football set (for a while, anyway) that wasn't released all at once. The third series was sent out to just a handful of stores, with the cards available to everyone else via mail order. With winter sports coming up, as with most final series, not many of them were sold.

The cards in this series get pricier all the time, especially star cards such as Namath Pro Action, Butkus Pro Action, Page, Spurrier rookie, Rayfield Wright rookie, a check list (always hard to find clean), and 24 All-Pro cards with lots of Hall of Famers. The only one I'm missing is #316 Wright.

A dealer named Larry Fritsch bought Topps out of all the 1972 high-numbered cards it had left over, if I remember right. Now a seller on eBay (Greg Morris cards) has those same cards for sale pretty much constantly, so I wonder if he bought out Fritsch.
Retro Rider

Re: 1972 Topps football high numbers

Post by Retro Rider »

Back in the fall of 1982 I ordered a complete 3rd series from a guy who was advertising in Sports Collectors Digest. He was selling the 3rd series for $115. The cards were all razor sharp but a couple were noticeably off center like the George Blanda In Action card. I eventually upgraded those. I had about 25 or 30 extra third series singles that I'd purchased in the late '70's from long time dealer Paul Marchant. In the late 1980's I stupidly sold off of my extra '72 high numbers except for the Namath In Action card.

I put together the first and second series from wax packs when I was in the 5th grade. I'm glad I was able to complete my '72 set when I did but it took 10 years to do it.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/1 ... h-numbers/

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/card ... gh-numbers
JWL

Post by JWL »

I have the All Pro Ron Yary card. It is in okay condition.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I only have the Tommy Nobis card. I would love to have them all.