USFL, XFL are merging

JameisBrownston

USFL, XFL are merging

Post by JameisBrownston »

https://theathletic.com/4909482/2023/09 ... ll-league/

What do we make of this? Will the resulting "USXFL" finally play a meaningful role in the professional ecosystem? Will the product finally produce recognizable stars in the way, say, the CFL does?
TodMaher

Re: USFL, XFL are merging

Post by TodMaher »

When was the last time the CFL produced a "recognizable star"?
JameisBrownston

Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly. Reilly retired in the last couple years and Bo Levi is a zombie, so things are definitely in a lull right now. Zach Collaros is the best going at the moment, but not at their peak level.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

TodMaher wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:03 pm When was the last time the CFL produced a "recognizable star"?
Warren Moon? Drafted and wanted by no one in the NFL at first, but after winning 5 straight Grey Cups in the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos, is now in our HOF & probably theirs as well. Anthony Calvillo, Montreal Alouettes QB, although I believe you mean "When did the CFL last send a player to the NFL that became a star?". One could argue Doug Flutie (he of course was already famous nationwide as a college superstar, lackluster 1st stint in NFL, superstar in the CFL, and much more effective ("star-like") in his return to the NFL.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

JameisSaintston wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:53 pm https://theathletic.com/4909482/2023/09 ... ll-league/

What do we make of this? Will the resulting "USXFL" finally play a meaningful role in the professional ecosystem? Will the product finally produce recognizable stars in the way, say, the CFL does?
I think one spring league is better than two. I also think they need to have each team play in it's own city and in an APPROPIATELY (read: MUCH smaller) sized stadium to avoid the mausoleum atmosphere at almost all USFL / XFL games. This might also develop a much stronger rooting interest among a cities' fans. (USFL concept of naming teams after cities where they don't even play!! is/was ridiculous in my opinion.) Perhaps a Regional approach to the league that would save greatly on travel costs would be smarter. (That will never happen, they all want to pretend they are a national big league like everyone else.)

I'd go to cities where "minor league" (Perish the thought!) football has shown past signs of success and interest. Omaha NE and Hampton Roads area of Virginia spring to mind. (Virginia Beach and/or Norfolk VA.)

I have always felt that the NFL should allow each team to have 1 development team that plays on Tuesday or Wednesday nights concurrent to the NFL season. Said team would have to be within X miles of their own market area. Cleveland could have Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton or Louisville, Arizona could have Tucson, Indy would have Fort Wayne or Evansville... etc. I think there would be interest among NFL fans in watching their teams own prospects play. I would watch such games on TV anyway. Just an idea. (I thought the 1960's were cool with the CoFL and the ACFL farm clubs. Rozelle banned this because cheap owners that didn't want to pop to have their own affiliate complained about an unfair competitive advantage. IDK who complained, but I bet they were the most frequent losing teams back then.) With money to burn these days it shouldn't be such a big deal anymore.
Last edited by Cali_Eagle on Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:23 pm"When did the CFL last send a player to the NFL that became a star?". One could argue Doug Flutie (he of course was already famous nationwide as a college superstar, lackluster 1st stint in NFL, superstar in the CFL, and much more effective ("star-like") in his return to the NFL.
Cameron Wake and Brandon Browner
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Jeff Garcia...
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:41 pm
JameisSaintston wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:53 pm https://theathletic.com/4909482/2023/09 ... ll-league/

I think one spring league is better than two. I also think they need to have each team play in it's own city and in an APPROPIATELY (read: MUCH smaller) sized stadium to avoid the mausoleum atmosphere at almost all USFL / XFL games. This might also develop a much stronger rooting interest among a cities' fans. (USFL concept of naming teams after cities where they don't even play!! is/was ridiculous in my opinion.) Perhaps a Regional approach to the league that would save greatly on travel costs would be smarter. (That will never happen, they all want to pretend they are a national big league like everyone else.)

I'd go to cities where "minor league" (Perish the thought!) football has shown past signs of success and interest. Omaha NE and Hampton Roads area of Virginia spring to mind. (Virginia Beach and/or Norfolk VA.)

I have always felt that the NFL should allow each team to have 1 development team that plays on Tuesday or Wednesday nights concurrent to the NFL season. Said team would have to be within X miles of their own market area. Cleveland could have Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton or Louisville, Arizona could have Tucson, Indy would have Fort Wayne or Evansville... etc. I think there would be interest among NFL fans in watching their teams own prospects play. I would watch such games on TV anyway. Just an idea. (I thought the 1960's were cool with the CoFL and the ACFL farm clubs. Rozelle banned this because cheap owners that didn't want to pop to have their own affiliate complained about an unfair competitive advantage. IDK who complained, but I bet they were the most frequent losing teams back then.) With money to burn these days it shouldn't be such a big deal anymore.
George Allen suggested that the Bears establish a relationship with a minor league team when Allen was an assistant in Chicago. Allen suggested that the minor league team use offensive and defensive schemes suggested by the Bears and that the Bears help with filming and the like. Allen thought the Bears could stock a minor league team with players the Bears had cut, in case of need. This was in a letter to George Halas in 1965.
JameisBrownston

More likely than functioning as an actual farm league, I would like to see the new USXFL participate in the recruiting cycle, in the same capacity as something like Overtime Elite. Draft eligibility would be the same as if they went to college. It lacks the kind of draw it would've had prior to NIL, but it would definitely bring the league some much-needed attention if it can sign away elite recruits like Arch Manning.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

Lee Elder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:40 am George Allen suggested that the Bears establish a relationship with a minor league team when Allen was an assistant in Chicago. Allen suggested that the minor league team use offensive and defensive schemes suggested by the Bears and that the Bears help with filming and the like. Allen thought the Bears could stock a minor league team with players the Bears had cut, in case of need. This was in a letter to George Halas in 1965.
George Allen was the kind of guy that wasn't going miss a trick if he could help it. He would have gladly spent the money. Didn't Dan Reeves once say about him: "I gave him an unlimited budget and he exceeded it."? Every team s/b thinking the way he did.

All the teams should do this, IMHO. I believe in NIL and open transfers (players should have the same rights any other students have.) But I also think it's going to doom the Group of 5 to oblivion over time. And I think conference realignment is ruining the college game, although apparently people are (still) watching in record numbers. Owners probably don't feel they need to have farm teams or minor leagues. I still think it's a good idea and that the NFL should allow it / do it. I would watch such games on a Tuesday or Wednesday night with no other football.