Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
readjack

Re: Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Post by readjack »

Thanks John! Yes, I am talking about the semis era from 2004 to the present. Thanks for clarifying.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good debate with possible finalists on Judge And Jury from TalkOfFameToo ... as I commented before on Zoneblitz.com, this class could possibly go out on a limb and elect Hester and Wilfork, effectively shutting the door on future returners/nose tackles making the Hall, though I hope I am wrong.

For semifinalists, Holt, Ward and Woodson have the most concurrent nominations but we will see if they get elected. Jack suggested Ward by 2029 but we will see. Evans at guard might make it as a finalist but wait awhile for election. Its what happens with interior players. I didnt even realize Wilfork played as much tackle as he did. I remember him strictly listed as nose, so maybe that can help Fred Smerlas get elected in the future. Dont be surprised if OT Anderson leaped out of "nowhere". The current relevence of the team and his pass/run blocking skills could get him elected sooner, rather than later ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:32 pm Good debate with possible finalists on Judge And Jury from TalkOfFameToo ... as I commented before on Zoneblitz.com, this class could possibly go out on a limb and elect Hester and Wilfork, effectively shutting the door on future returners/nose tackles making the Hall, though I hope I am wrong.

For semifinalists, Holt, Ward and Woodson have the most concurrent nominations but we will see if they get elected. Jack suggested Ward by 2029 but we will see. Evans at guard might make it as a finalist but wait awhile for election. Its what happens with interior players. I didnt even realize Wilfork played as much tackle as he did. I remember him strictly listed as nose, so maybe that can help Fred Smerlas get elected in the future. Dont be surprised if OT Anderson leaped out of "nowhere". The current relevence of the team and his pass/run blocking skills could get him elected sooner, rather than later ...
which of hester and wilfork would you be in favor of brian i am very very curious?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Robert ...

Personally, I would make both wait but alot of great players are coming up, not to mention the queue, so if they both dont get in soon, they may have to wait beyond 2030. Since Smerlas was a more, pure nose tackle than Wilfork, who switched to DT in his eighth season, I would put him in first before Wilfork gets elected and shuts the door. I know Hester was special and will get voted in but I feel he should get voted in years later on a very weak class.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Thanks Brian I concur 100% that both should wait until there is a down year in terms of first year nominees I also agree with you that smerlas should get a hard look from the senior committee
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 am Good call Robert ... my biggest snub was either Nalen or Wisniewski. They dominated at their positions but like Williams on defense, wont get traction as interior players. Even Wilfork gets more consideration.
Wisniewski was one of those guys that when you were watching football in the mid-90s, you just assumed he'd be in the HOF one day.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:58 am
Brian wolf wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 am Good call Robert ... my biggest snub was either Nalen or Wisniewski. They dominated at their positions but like Williams on defense, wont get traction as interior players. Even Wilfork gets more consideration.
Wisniewski was one of those guys that when you were watching football in the mid-90s, you just assumed he'd be in the HOF one day.
Likewise I thought the same
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

The semi-finalists are:

Eric Allen, CB;
Jared Allen, DE;
Willie Anderson, T;
Tiki Barber, RB;
Anquan Boldin, WR;
Jahri Evans, G;
London Fletcher, LB;
Dwight Freeney, DE;
Antonio Gates, TE;
Eddie George, RB;
James Harrison, LB;
Rodney Harrison, DB;
Devin Hester, KR/PR;
Torry Holt, WR;
Andre Johnson, WR;
Robert Mathis, DE/LB;
Julius Peppers, DE;
Steve Smith, Sr., WR;
Fred Taylor, RB;
Hines Ward, WR;
Ricky Watters, RB;
Reggie Wayne, WR;
Vince Wilfork, DT;
Patrick Willis, LB;
Darren Woodson, DB;
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

shot in the dark heres my final 15

1.Eric Allen DB

2.Jared Allen DE

3.Willie Anderson OT

4.Jahiri Evans G

5.London Fletcher LB

6.Dwight Freeney DE

7.Antonio Gates TE

8.Devin Hester KR

9.Torry Holt WR

10.Andre Johnson WR

11.Julius Peppers DE

12.Reggie Wayne WR

13.Vince Wilfork DT

14.Patrick Willis LB

15.Darren Woodson DB
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:13 am shot in the dark heres my final 15

1.Eric Allen DB

2.Jared Allen DE

3.Willie Anderson OT

4.Jahiri Evans G

5.London Fletcher LB

6.Dwight Freeney DE

7.Antonio Gates TE

8.Devin Hester KR

9.Torry Holt WR

10.Andre Johnson WR

11.Julius Peppers DE

12.Reggie Wayne WR

13.Vince Wilfork DT

14.Patrick Willis LB

15.Darren Woodson DB
Good list. I would pick 13 or them the same as you did.

Only two I differ on are Fletcher and Wilfork. I am predicting they won't make it. I could be wrong, of course. If it were my personal choice I'd put Wilfolk on my 15 ... but of course, what I think doesn't matter but I can't see him getting it even if he were one of the top 15 players. I think it's a position bias.

WIllis, IMO, is going to get in this year...good chance anyway. Don't think Fletcher will advance..but after Willis gets in then I can see Fletcher getting some movement.

But I think a running back will make it. In early December I wrote something on the RBs and in my mind I cannot separate them as to one being better than the others but I think there is more buzz for Fred Taylor than the others. Tiki Barber would be next. But I will stick with my prediction of Taylor making the Final 15. The RB who has picked up steam is Tiki. But when it comes down to brass tacks ... who knows? I think it's 1. Taylor 2. Tikie 3. Watters 4. George