WR trivia

Bryan

WR trivia

Post by Bryan »

Can you name the first 3 players to have over 1000 receiving yards in each of their first two seasons?
JameisBrownston

Re: WR trivia

Post by JameisBrownston »

Bill Groman
Lionel Taylor
Bob Hayes?

Shofner and Powell came close
racepug

Post by racepug »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:38 pm Bill Groman
Lionel Taylor
Bob Hayes?

Bill Groman - before my time but from what I've read about him he could've easily been regarded as one of the all time greats if not for that knee injury. . .
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

At first I thought Tom Fears but he didnt have 1000 yards his first year, though he was the first with multiple seasons.

I am a big fan of Tommy McDonald, who was fearless over the middle and scored alot of TDs but Del Shofner should have been elected to the HOF first. Not only the first to have 1000 yard seasons with different teams but the first to have three and four seasons of over 1000 yards. Art Powell was the first to have five seasons and Lance Alworth was the first to six and seven seasons with over 1000 yards.

Steve Largent was the first to eight seasons in 1986. 17 years after Alworth got his seventh.
JameisBrownston

Since we're not really responding to the question anymore, I'll throw out that Bobby Mitchell is very underrated from this era imo. I think he made HOF from the senior committee? But he was very dynamic and versatile, peaked the highest of any NFL receiver of the era, consistently excellent every year using scrimmage stats (he ran a good bit, especially in Cleveland), and I think he retired with the 2nd most career scrimmage yards behind Jim Brown. Seems like he should've been first ballot?!

Also, I forgot Harlon Hill, who doesn't meet the criteria but came close (2 of his first 3) before anyone else mentioned except Fears.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Lionel Taylor
Bob Hayes?

Now don't be sad, 'cause two out of three ain't bad.
JameisBrownston

It has to be Taylor. In every NFL and AFL season through the end of the 14-game era, only those 3 guys appear to fit the description. It doesn't appear Taylor saw the field in 59 so I don't presume we need to count that.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Bryan wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:18 pm
Lionel Taylor
Bob Hayes?

Now don't be sad, 'cause two out of three ain't bad.
John Jefferson? He had the start of a Hall of Fame career until he held out and was traded to Green Bay.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Taylor played in 8 games during the 1959 season for the Bears his rookie season. I am stumped, because it wasnt anyone from the AAFC?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:13 pm It doesn't appear Taylor saw the field in 59
?????