Worst RBs/WRs with a 1000 yard season?

JameisBrownston

Re: Worst RBs/WRs with a 1000 yard season?

Post by JameisBrownston »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 pm Mike Furrey immediately came to mind for a 1000 yard receiving season one year wonder. Was a DB for the Rams, heads over to the Lions in 2006, gets converted to WR and immediately posts a 98 catch 1000+ yard season. He got almost half his career receiving yardage this season and 6 of his 7 career TDs.
I remember that dude. Crazy career arc. Didn't know he was a DB. Looks like he had a good year in 05, why'd they convert him at all?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Earnest Jackson was released after a 1000 yard season for the Eagles in 1985. He'd already been traded from the Chargers. His Eagles season had only 3.6 YPC and he wasn't much as a receiver.

I don't know what happened with Paul Robinson. He ran pretty well down the stretch for the Bengals in 1970. I guess they just liked Essex Johnson and Fred Willis better. Willis and Robinson ended up teaming up in Houston. Robinson got benched there too, then ran for 100 in his last NFL game, against the Bengals. Johnson and Boobie Clark missed going over 1000 in that game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Charlie Brown had great seasons for the Redskins in 1982 and 1983, getting over 1200 yards in 1983, but got injured in 1984.
He nearly had another 1000 yard season with the Falcons in 1986.

Braylon Edwards had a good year for the Browns in 2007 but was mostly a bust, though he hung on for awhile.

Josh Gordon had the one great year in 2013 before smoking his way to many suspensions and teams. He did help Brady and the Patriots in 2018 however and has a SB ring ...

I felt Kevin Johnson with the Browns would be a superstar but after one good season in 2001, he never could seem to get it together again with Tim Couch at QB ...

Though he has a SB ring and nearly 1000 yards for the Raiders in 1990, Willie Gault never had the hands to be more than a deep threat, though his career wasnt bad.

Though he never had a 1000 yard season, the hype surrounding Peter Warrick coming out of college was unbelievable. Couldnt seem to get off the line in the pros.
Last edited by Brian wolf on Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Charlie Brown
Imagine if this guy was a kicker. You know the holder would've had to do it to him at least once.
Josh Gordon
Ah, the greatest gift from the football gods ever to grace the earth, according to the smooth brains of Reddit. I'll never forget these comment strings...

Poster 1: ERMAHGERD JOSH GARDEN!
- Poster 2: 420 yards incoming CHOO CHOO!
- - Poster 3: but what about the 2nd quarter?!
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:33 pm Big expectations for Peyton Hillis after a 1000 yard season in Cleveland. Didnt go exactly as planned.
I heard that Hillis got in trouble for hitting on new HC Josh McDaniels' wife at a bar. So that kind of ended his career at Denver.

Two 1000 yard RBs came to mind:

John Settle, 1988 Falcons - had a big year, was featured in the NFL Diet Coke rap commercial ("...and it Settles the score!"), but kind of disappeared after that.

Rashaan Salaam, 1995 Bears - too mellow to hang on to the ball (9 fumbles) or catch the ball (7 receptions), yet the Bears kept feeding him the ball for 3.6 yards per carry. IMO the worst RB with a 1000 yard season.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, I wondered why Denver gave up on Hillis, I thought he was a free agent ...

Was trying to remember Salaams' name ... He reminds me of Curtis Enis

I felt the worst was Ron Dayne, who never got to 1000 because he was never in shape. Tiki Barber stole his thunder

The worst receiver was probably Peter Warrick, who never reached his press clippings. He blamed Bengal coaching and being forced into the slot but he never made plays ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In Earnest Jackson's defense, he went from a very good line in SD to a bad one in Philly. He almost had another 1000 yard season in Pittsburgh. A workhorse who succumbed to injuries.

For 1000 yard runners, the worst to me is Barry Foster. After that great season where he nearly beat out Emmitt Smith for the rushing title, he seemed to check out once he got paid. Maybe his injuries were worse than I realized but at that time, it was rare for an All-Pro player to leave the game that quickly.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:23 pm The worst receiver was probably Peter Warrick, who never reached his press clippings. He blamed Bengal coaching and being forced into the slot but he never made plays ...
Warrick came to mind for me, too. Although looking at his career he never had a 1000-yard season. I think the worst WR with 1000 yards was Bill Schroeder of the Packers, but he almost had 3 1000-yard seasons in a row because the Packer WRs kept getting hurt. So not sure of that.

The worst WR I've ever seen was a guy named R Jay Soward. He was kind of like the Peter Warrick of USC, and the Jags picked him in the 1st round. He last one year in the NFL, and I looked at his stats....34 targets, 14 catches, 154 yards, 3 fumbles. Hard to imagine.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

The Redskins had 2 at the same time, Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell. (A sucker puncher and the other a thief.)
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Westbrook is a great example ... A bust with all kinds of talent