2023 Predictions

ChrisBabcock

Re: 2023 Predictions

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:47 am Congratulations Chris Babcock on predicting the back-to-back champion before the season!
As a Niners fan, I've never been more nauseatingly upset about being correct about a prediction.
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:28 pmSuper Bowl LVIII:

Chiefs 42, Cowboys 35

Super Bowl MVP: Patrick Mahomes, of course, in the highest-scoring Super Bowl ever.
Well, I got most of it right. Chiefs win it all (again), Mahomes wins MVP (again), a close game (again). Now the question of a three-peat begins. Ordinarily I'd figure that it'd be too difficult, but these other AFC teams wilt and melt anytime they play the Chiefs. My early prediction is that the Chiefs three-peat... but there's a new challenger for them in the NFC whom I Love.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I know youre upset Chris, I am too, losing money on the game but what was your take on it? Didnt the game seem like another tale of two halves?

I also felt Kelce should have been MVP. Not only for his catches in the second half but his execution of pick plays that allowed two receivers to be wide open in the endzone, including the final play.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Well, judging by the postgame coverage, I'm sure Kelce got his "reward" after the game. Mebbe three or four rewards, depending on stamina.

Glad those old nuns I grew up with aren't around to see this post. Get my head slammed into the chalkboard.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:38 pm
Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:28 pmSuper Bowl LVIII:

Chiefs 42, Cowboys 35

Super Bowl MVP: Patrick Mahomes, of course, in the highest-scoring Super Bowl ever.
Well, I got most of it right. Chiefs win it all (again), Mahomes wins MVP (again), a close game (again). Now the question of a three-peat begins. Ordinarily I'd figure that it'd be too difficult, but these other AFC teams wilt and melt anytime they play the Chiefs. My early prediction is that the Chiefs three-peat... but there's a new challenger for them in the NFC whom I Love.
Winning another one next year will be incredibly challenging as they will have even more key players leaving via free agency. L'Jarious Sneed and Chris Jones are both free agents and will both be demanding incredibly high pay days. They won't be able to keep both of them. My guess is that Sneed will be the one they choose to keep since he is a younger player but how effective will the defense continue to be without the kind of pressure Chris Jones provided?

Also keep in mind that Kelce is getting on the older side and it will start being even more challenging for him to stay productive. The Chiefs don't have a solid replacement for either of those positions at this point and probably won't have the cash to bring a solid replacement in.

We'll have to see what front office moves are made but the chances of the Chiefs maintaining the type of success they are seeing now seems a little slim at this point. Especially considering Harbaugh is coming in and very well might take over that division sooner than many people think.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:41 pm I know youre upset Chris, I am too, losing money on the game but what was your take on it? Didnt the game seem like another tale of two halves?

I also felt Kelce should have been MVP. Not only for his catches in the second half but his execution of pick plays that allowed two receivers to be wide open in the endzone, including the final play.
Barely using McCaffrey in the 3rd quarter was inexcusable. Late in the 4th there was a 4th and 4(?) in which Shanahan opted for the FG. The friend I was watching the game with said "oh no we just lost". Thinking KC would respond with a TD. Instead they drove down for a FG of their own to force OT. They probably should have went for it to try for the TD lead and put KC on the ropes. Also lots of uncalled holding by KC in the 2nd half. We counted 4 or 5 non calls. None of which Nance or Romo made any mention of.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Chris ... the Chiefs always hold but it happened on the 49ers line as well. I pointed out on another thread that Shanny quit running the ball with McCafferty in the third qrt as well up 10-3 and 10-6, then the SPTs' fumble. Finally they get the TD but miss the damn EP. The defense just couldnt stop the Chiefs when they had too ...

Knowing that the Chiefs would get the ball anyway after scoring a FG or TD in overtime, why didnt the the 49ers go for it on 4th down inside the 10 yrd line? Either they miss the TD or lose anyway?
I guess with a 3 point lead, Shanny was hoping they could stop them ...