Seniors

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Re: Seniors

Post by Gary Najman »

I don't understand why Harold Jackson each year doesn't make the Seniors list. He was productive for 3 teams, with no HOF quarterback, he was the leader among 1970s receivers in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, and retired as the 2nd all-time leader in receiving yards.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Zero26 wrote:
rewing84 wrote:Could it be possible that the three wide receivers cancel each other out and neither of them advance to reduction from 12 to 6
Maybe. I think last year they wanted to talk a break because they elected 2 senior WRs in a row. Maybe that's still a thing now but I do think they are going to pick Sterling. If not this year it's only a matter of time.

I do not think Powell is a HOFer and am a bit dissapointed to see him as their 3rd WR out of a pool filled with great candidates. Even among the All Decade omissions(most of the great WR candidates are not all decades) I'd much rather prefer Gary Collins. remember one of the PFRA members gave me a really good argument against Powell and Hennigan a very long time ago and I've been against them ever since.
I'll agree with you on powell 100% I'm more in favor of gary Collins a lot more. Just curious what was the argument against powell and henningan
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Gary Najman wrote:I don't understand why Harold Jackson each year doesn't make the Seniors list. He was productive for 3 teams, with no HOF quarterback, he was the leader among 1970s receivers in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, and retired as the 2nd all-time leader in receiving yards.
Jut a personal opinion --- he's a guy who does have the dead-ball era numbers--passes that test, but as someone who saw him a lot, in his prime...
he never struck me as a dominant receiver... maybe I expected too much, but he didn't pass the eye test like his peers of the era.

At least to me.

Someone else can totally prove me wrong but he was good, very good, but I have seen players without the so-called "alls" who IMO were dominant
and players without the "numbers" who looked dominant ... not a ton of them but I have also seen guys with a good HOF resume--the numbers,
the pro Bowls, but didn't look dominant to me. Jackson is one of them. Meador is another. Isiah Robertson another--to name three Rams.

But i know of a couple Rams who were dominant who had good honors, good numbers but maybe not as good as the others who to me, were better
p;ayers.

That's the conundrum in my mind I have to work out sometimes.

But hay, someone can say they saw the 1973 Cowboys-Rams game and say Jackson was dominant but to me, that was a big outlier...
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

rewing84 wrote:
Zero26 wrote:
rewing84 wrote:Could it be possible that the three wide receivers cancel each other out and neither of them advance to reduction from 12 to 6
Maybe. I think last year they wanted to talk a break because they elected 2 senior WRs in a row. Maybe that's still a thing now but I do think they are going to pick Sterling. If not this year it's only a matter of time.

I do not think Powell is a HOFer and am a bit dissapointed to see him as their 3rd WR out of a pool filled with great candidates. Even among the All Decade omissions(most of the great WR candidates are not all decades) I'd much rather prefer Gary Collins. remember one of the PFRA members gave me a really good argument against Powell and Hennigan a very long time ago and I've been against them ever since.
I'll agree with you on powell 100% I'm more in favor of gary Collins a lot more. Just curious what was the argument against powell and henningan
I don't remember. It was when I first stumbled upon the PFRA I was spitballing some potential HOF WRs with the person I was emailing and he had a strong argument against Powell, Hennigan and I remember Lionel Taylor because I brought him up for some reason. That person was also against Collins too I think but I didn't agree with that argument. It was a while ago. Maybe I can dig up the email maybe I can't.

Jim Benton perhaps has the best case of any non HOF WR but with him the issue is his era. Once the Hall gets through Sterling and Otis Taylor that'd be where I'd ideally hope they'd go next at the WR position instead of Art Powell. I like the Jackson pick better and if we absolutley must have another 1970s WR hes a logical choice though I think the Chargers stars WRs of the period deserve a look.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

appreciate the feedback if you can find the email thats cool if not thats fine either just curious for this year zero if you had to decide between taylor and sharpe who would you take?
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

rewing84 wrote:appreciate the feedback if you can find the email thats cool if not thats fine either just curious for this year zero if you had to decide between taylor and sharpe who would you take?
More passionate about Taylors case and he just died. Sharpe is clearly the better candidate IMO. Sharpe is the sort of player who'd have been inducted very easily if he'd had just 1 more productive season. There's not very many Sterling Sharpes in the senior pool especially not in the SB era(earlier on there's a lot more players who fit the above description IE Dan Towler). This is really a heart v head sort of thing. I would not have a problem with either one.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Zero26 wrote:
rewing84 wrote:appreciate the feedback if you can find the email thats cool if not thats fine either just curious for this year zero if you had to decide between taylor and sharpe who would you take?
More passionate about Taylors case and he just died. Sharpe is clearly the better candidate IMO. Sharpe is the sort of player who'd have been inducted very easily if he'd had just 1 more productive season. There's not very many Sterling Sharpes in the senior pool especially not in the SB era(earlier on there's a lot more players who fit the above description IE Dan Towler). This is really a heart v head sort of thing. I would not have a problem with either one.
I'm of the same wavelength in terms of Taylor and Sharpe
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Sharpe has waited nearly 30 years for induction and is deserving. Everyone can agree he would have been in already without injury. The question is, will the voters have wide receiver fatigue since he could become the fifth receiver voted in since the Centennial Class? I think he will be voted in, since defensive players got their spotlight last year.

I do agree with zero26 about Jim Benton. Long overdue, like Lavvie Dilweg, though Dilweg was more known for defensive play. Benton, Shofner, Powell and Jackson might be the biggest snubs.
Collins and Retzlaff had similar careers, though Retzlaff was better on inside routes. Very close with cases but may wait awhile.

My Wishlist For The Class Of 2024

Wistert
Gradishar
Meador

Prediction

Gradishar
Sharpe
McMichael

We will see if a QB like Ken Anderson, or RB like Roger Craig, can take momentum from McMichael. I still hope Wistert can find a way for election ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Since they went heavy on defense last year here would be my ideal picks

Gradishar

Sharpe

Wistert

I would also accept

Gradishar

McMichael

Wistert
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:Someone else can totally prove me wrong but he was good, very good, but I have seen players without the so-called "alls" who IMO were dominant
and players without the "numbers" who looked dominant ... not a ton of them but I have also seen guys with a good HOF resume--the numbers,
the pro Bowls, but didn't look dominant to me. Jackson is one of them. Meador is another. Isiah Robertson another--to name three Rams.

But i know of a couple Rams who were dominant who had good honors, good numbers but maybe not as good as the others who to me, were better
p;ayers.

That's the conundrum in my mind I have to work out sometimes.

But hay, someone can say they saw the 1973 Cowboys-Rams game and say Jackson was dominant but to me, that was a big outlier...
I agree on all three players. Meador was a smart player, but I think he really benefited from his supporting cast. Had he been on the Eagles instead of the Rams, I think Meador would have been more like Joe Scarpati than a borderline HOF player. Meador isn't spectacular on film. I remember a clip of Gary Garrison catching a pass, stopping, putting on a quick fake and just flying past Meador as if Eddie was in cement.

Jackson was very productive, but was kind of a one-trick pony. To me, Jackson wasn't close to Warfield or Swann (or even Biletnikoff), but he had better numbers than all of those guys. The most remarkable thing to me about Jackson is how long he kept his speed. He didn't have great hands, didn't really come up with the ball in traffic, but he consistently put up 6 TDs and 750 yards well into his 30s. When he left Philly, his production was replaced by Harold Carmichael. When he left LA, Willie Miller came out of nowhere and put up the same numbers as Jackson. It seemed like he was very replaceable...JMO.