Obscure trivia

Sonny9

Re: Obscure trivia

Post by Sonny9 »

PA Wingman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:34 pm Floyd Little?
correct
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Sonny9 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:04 am bolded is the real gist of my question - Anyone else ever accomplish 6k with so few honors on their O line?
These are just guesses, but I don't remember Curt Warner or James Wilder having great OLs in front of them.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Bryan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:07 am
Sonny9 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:04 am bolded is the real gist of my question - Anyone else ever accomplish 6k with so few honors on their O line?
These are just guesses, but I don't remember Curt Warner or James Wilder having great OLs in front of them.
Gale Sayers is another, although he rushed for ~5000 yards
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Bryan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:07 am These are just guesses, but I don't remember Curt Warner or James Wilder having great OLs in front of them.
In 1984, arguably Wilder's best season, the Bucs' usual starters on the line were LT Gene Sanders (one of the worst players in NFL history - you had to see him to believe how bad he was), LG Steve Courson (who was effective, at least, Better Football Through ChemistryTM), C Steve Wilson (who was a pretty good center for the times), RG Sean Farrell (who was a very good player in a very bad situation) and RT Ron Heller (who was a rookie that year but went on to have a solid career). And he still only averaged 3.8 per carry - he got 1544 yards because he ran a then-record 407 times.

That was about as good as it got. One of the major failings of the 80s Bucs post-Williams was their offensive line. They didn't use an early-round draft pick on an offensive lineman in the 80s other than Ray Snell (22nd overall in 1980, only played 65 games), Farrell (17th overall in 1982, and that was so off-brand because it was an accident), someone named Kelly Thomas (4th round, 1983), Heller (4th round, 1984), Paul Gruber (4th overall in 1988 and one of the team's best players ever) and John Bruhin (4th round in 1988).

Even in Perkins' first year, when they had amassed TWENTY DRAFT PICKS IN 12 ROUNDS, they took exactly two offensive linemen. (One of them, Harry Swayne, was actually a decent pick in the 7th round, as he went on to play 186 games, though, on-brand, most in a different uniform.)

Yeah, Wilder did what he did without much in front of him.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I dpn't remember Walter Payton having any sort of Pro Bowl blockers until late in his career.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Name the player...
- I played for exactly 2 teams in my 9 year career. Both teams from the same division.
- My team won the league championship 3 times.
- I was a player on offense.
- I was a teammate of two Hall of Fame quarterbacks
- I was a teammate of one Hall of Fame running back.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:08 pm Name the player...
- I played for exactly 2 teams in my 9 year career. Both teams from the same division.
Bob Talamini. (Hall of Famers George Blanda, Joe Namath and John Henry Johnson.)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Bob Gill wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:54 am
ChrisBabcock wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:08 pm Name the player...
Bob Talamini. (Hall of Famers George Blanda, Joe Namath and John Henry Johnson.)
Correct!
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

I have the longest interception return that was not a TD
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Sonny9 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:57 am I have the longest interception return that was not a TD
NYJ safety Marcus Maye, 104 yds vs. Denver 2018. Last play of the game. He zig-zagged all over the field and was finally tackled at the 1-yd line, so he probably actually ran 150 yds.