Icky Super Bowls

BD Sullivan

Re: Icky Super Bowls

Post by BD Sullivan »

*Super Bowl V had the first dramatic SB ending ever, but had been a turnover fest beforehand.

*Super Bowl IX had the Steelers leading 2-0 at the half and the Vikings spending the entire game figuring out how to move the ball on offense.

*Super Bowl XI started off in interesting fashion with Guy's first punt block, but after the Vikes fumbled it back, the Raiders dominated.

*Super Bowl XXIV was 49ers from start to finish, with the Broncos looking clueless throughout.
racepug

Post by racepug »

BD Sullivan wrote:*Super Bowl XXIV was 49ers from start to finish, with the Broncos looking clueless throughout.
Absolutely one of my favorite S.B. results/memories of all time. I remember being a bit worried going into that one knowing that the 49ers (for what reason[s] I have absolutely NO idea) had lost every game that they'd played against DEN in the '80s prior to that. They were all close, but DEN managed to prevail every single time. So I was SUPER happy when the 49ers came out and absolutely deSTROYed the Broncos in that S.B. (I saw some highlights of that S.B. not too long ago and was reminded that DEN had the top scoring "D" in the AFC that year. Then there's Greg Kragen [or Rulon Jones or Karl Mecklenburg - they all looked the same to me] near the end of the first half on the sideline muttering "f*cking unbelievable" while mic'd up. I couldn't have been happier).
racepug

Post by racepug »

Bryan wrote:Ronnie Lott does not appreciate your humor... - :lol:
Funny! A local radio station does "9:30 Knuckleheads" every weekday morning and just a couple of days ago it did one of Super Bowl knuckleheads and which S.B. did they make reference to? The 2nd SFO - CIN one. And the "knucklehead" they referred to? Stanley Wilson. I was pulling for the 49ers in that S.B. but looking back I have to feel a bit for the Bengals, not just for their loss in that S.B. but for all the S.B. losses they've suffered so far. Tough breaks.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Boomer Esiason having a bad arm in that SB, maybe Stanley Wilson helps their running game or not but the Bengals didnt use James Brooks enough ... Once Ronnie Lott hit Woods in that pic from Bryan, he never ran the same afterward. Wilson let down his team the night before the game but Billup's dropped interception in the endzone killed their chances of winning ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:With Boomer Esiason having a bad arm in that SB, maybe Stanley Wilson helps their running game or not but the Bengals didnt use James Brooks enough ... Once Ronnie Lott hit Woods in that pic from Bryan, he never ran the same afterward. Wilson let down his team the night before the game but Billup's dropped interception in the endzone killed their chances of winning ...
OmG - I don't know how many times I've seen guys fail to make plays like that (Jaquiski Tartt and the dead duck pass of Matthew Stafford's that he DROPPED near the end of last year's NFC title game comes immediately to mind) and then see their opponents go on to victory. So frustrating!
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

racepug wrote:Absolutely one of my favorite S.B. results/memories of all time. I remember being a bit worried going into that one knowing that the 49ers (for what reason[s] I have absolutely NO idea) had lost every game that they'd played against DEN in the '80s prior to that. They were all close, but DEN managed to prevail every single time. So I was SUPER happy when the 49ers came out and absolutely deSTROYed the Broncos in that S.B. (I saw some highlights of that S.B. not too long ago and was reminded that DEN had the top scoring "D" in the AFC that year. Then there's Greg Kragen [or Rulon Jones or Karl Mecklenburg - they all looked the same to me] near the end of the first half on the sideline muttering "f*cking unbelievable" while mic'd up. I couldn't have been happier).
This write-up explains it: https://goldenrankings.com/SuperBowl24-A.htm

In their other three matchups in the 80's, the Broncos had Joe Collier at DC. Against the 49ers, he would rush three, drop eight (presumably just play under zone and tight man), and rotate his D-linemen to keep them fresh (probably because they had to face a QB that could run in Montana).

By 1989 and SB 24, though, the Broncos replaced Joe with Wade Phillips. He ran what you would call a static 3-4 with blitzing (where the safeties would play wide, and leave the middle wide open). That played right into SF's hands (as the game showed).

Apparently, John Elway and Gary Kubiak were throwing post patterns against Wade's D that week. Elway played in the WCO when he was at Stanford, and said that the default route against his defense was the post. Charlie Waters and Wade didn't want to hear it, despite Elway's pleading. Those two found out the hard way.

Also, Elway was real sick that day (and it showed). He had a real bad cough, and probably wouldn't have played if it was a normal game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great info 7DnBrnc53 ...

It was beautiful watching Montana using his head like a turrent with all the looking off, of defenders. Head look-offs, fakes and ball handling are lost arts with QBs ... If QBs looked off defenders like Joe did in this game, the passing game would be even more dominant. Looking off defenders and his quick release is why Brady still keeps playing. I dont believe he will stayed retired.