2022 season, Week 6 notes

racepug

2022 season, Week 6 notes

Post by racepug »

No idea what's going on with the Packers. I suppose credit can (and probably should) be given to both the Giants and Jets for beating the Pack but indications were that G.B. was supposed to be better than they're showing. Maybe it's a ploy by the Packers - instead of looking like potential champions and then flaming out in the playoffs (as they have done so often since their last S.B. championship) instead they plan on looking "mortal" during the regular season before "turning it on" during the playoffs in time to win another S.B.! (yeah, right)

MIN has surprised me. I didn't know anything about their new coaching staff but they're obviously doing a good job (at least as of right now). At present I have to say that MIN looks like the MUCH better bet to win the N.F.C. North this season than do the Packers.

The N.F.C. East is (generally) looking a LOT stronger than people (myself included) thought it would. Only the Commanders, at this point, look like they're probably not going to compete for the division title this season (or probably any season as long as Daniel Snyder is in charge of that team).

Both the N.F.C. South and N.F.C. West look to be "full of mediocrity" this season. The Rams certainly don't look like they're going to repeat, the 49ers are extremely difficult to "figure out," and I have to wonder (as I heard someone on TV mention the other day) if Tom Brady is wishing he'd stayed retired after last season.

Over to the A.F.C. - only the Bills look like potential league champions but that loss to MIA concerns me as I have no idea how that happened. Maybe the Chiefs or Chargers can make a run come playoff time but I personally don't see, at this point in time, ANY team from either the A.F.C. North or the A.F.C. South as being a bona fide contender to win anything of note this season.

The Jets (and the Giants) have surprised and I kinda hope they keep it up. It took the Chiefs 50 years to win a 2nd S.B. title so maybe it's the Jets' turn (sometime soon - not necessarily this season).

What to make of Bailey Zappe! Is it possible that Bill Belichick has (already) found "his next TB12?"
RichardBak

Re: 2022 season, Week 6 notes

Post by RichardBak »

Well, the Lions didn't lose last week... (even with a bye you just never know).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

racepug wrote:No idea what's going on with the Packers.
Their receiving corp is not good---rookies just not up to par yet
losing Adams was huge

I think that's all it is...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Best ESPN stat I've heard so far...

"The Chicago Bears are the only team in the NFL to have led at some point in every game this year..."

Meanwhile, the Eagles are 6-0!
racepug

Post by racepug »

Bryan wrote:"The Chicago Bears are the only team in the NFL to have led at some point in every game this year..."
That's the very definition of "useless stat" as far as I'm concerned.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The frentic finishes, parity, upsets and injuries are expected but glad to see Mariota playing better for the Falcons, who still need more of a running game. The Bills should be the team to beat but can this be a special year for the Eagles, Vikes, Chiefs or another team? Too early to tell of course but we will see which teams can sustain themselves ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnTurney wrote:
racepug wrote:No idea what's going on with the Packers.
Their receiving corp is not good---rookies just not up to par yet
losing Adams was huge

I think that's all it is...
They've also had several injuries there to the replacements. Of course they had injuries to receivers last year too, Lazard, Tonyan, MVS all missed substantial time. Adams did not. Now Lazard and Tonyan are healthy, but they cannot carry the load like Adams and with the others out it's even more of a dropoff.

There are other issues. Offensive line has been terrible at times, missing assignments. Defense was supposed to be better than it was. Lots of talent there now, Alexander, Gary has been great, but all together it's a disappointment. LaFleur is in his fourth year, great regular season success, but the team may be tuning him out right now. It happens. Have a down year and sometimes they listen again, sometimes not.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Replacing elite WR quality like Adams...plus the chemistry he had with Rodgers, it just can't be done quickly or easily. Packers don't have terrible receivers, there's decent ability there as well as depth. But you don't have that top end guy that terrifies a secondary. His production can not be made up by simply spreading things around.

Thrilled with what the Jets have been able to do thus far. One stat that intrigues me is the Jets and the 58 pts they've scored in the 4th (most in the league) and their point differential of 38 puts them 2nd in the league.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

I'm curious (and too lazy to do the research) - when's the last time all 3 so-called New York teams
won on the same weekend in 4 of the 1st 6 games in the NFL season?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

sheajets wrote:Replacing elite WR quality like Adams...plus the chemistry he had with Rodgers, it just can't be done quickly or easily. Packers don't have terrible receivers, there's decent ability there as well as depth. But you don't have that top end guy that terrifies a secondary. His production can not be made up by simply spreading things around.

Thrilled with what the Jets have been able to do thus far. One stat that intrigues me is the Jets and the 58 pts they've scored in the 4th (most in the league) and their point differential of 38 puts them 2nd in the league.
Rodgers hasn't been throwing the ball well. Some of it might be lack of familiarity with his receivers, but not all of it. Two glaring examples involved Aaron Jones, who's certainly no stranger. In a goal-line situation, he had Jones on a swing pass that would have resulted in a TD, but he threw the ball behind Jones, who lost his momentum when he turned to catch it and didn't score as a result, so the Packers had to kick a FG. Against the Jets, Jones was open down the sideline but Rodgers threw the ball way to the outside and Jones couldn't make the catch in-bounds.
He's also badly overthrown receivers on several occasions. Maybe age is setting in?