Keith Jackson

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
RyanChristiansen

Keith Jackson

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Tight End Keith Jackson played nine years in the NFL, including four years with the Philadelphia Eagles (1988-1991), three years with the Miami Dolphins (1992-1994), and two years with the Green Bay Packers (1995-1996). During the time that he played, no other tight end had more receptions than Jackson (441), including Brent Jones (386), who played during the same seasons. Neither player is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame or the Hall of Very Good. Jackson had more Pro Bowl appearances (5) than Jones (4) and was named all pro more times (3) than Jones (0), but Jones has more Super Bowl rings (3) than Jackson (1). Jackson had the most touchdowns (49) of all tight ends during this span, more than Jones (31). Jackson was named Rookie of the Year in 1988.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
rewing84

Re: Keith Jackson

Post by rewing84 »

I would take Brent Jones over Keith Jackson by a hair
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I liked Keith Jackson a lot as a player, seemed like injuries chipped away at him and what he could do on the field. I thought he had great talent and should've had more of those 60+ reception type seasons. He thrived in an era where there seemed to be (at least to me) a lull in the position.... Post Christensen and prime Winslow & Newsome...didn't seem to be a lot of beastly tight ends putting up monster numbers year after year in the late 80s/early 90s...though soon guys like Shannon Sharpe, Ben Coates, and Novacek would begin their rise and that would lead to the Tony Gonzalez's, Graham's, Dallas Clarke's etc
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Ripped from the PFRA headlines:

I have a dissenting opinion on Keith Jackson.

He was regarded as one of the best TEs in college history at Oklahoma. He averaged something like 25 yards per catch over his college career with numerous TDs and was a big play guy, He was really hyped coming into the NFL. Yes, he made All Pro his first few years at Philly, but there wasn't big play potential. The Eagles offensive scheme was garbage, consisting of Cunningham running 10 yards or throwing 10 yards to Jackson & Byars. He might have gotten so beat up in Philly that the rest of his career was affected.

I always viewed Jackson as more 'crafty' than 'dominant'. He was smart and was reliable. His All Pros were due in part to a dearth of good TEs in that era. I remember him not doing anything his first year in GB, but then they paired him with Chumra in two TE sets in 96 and Jackson really excelled. Maybe I am selling Jackson short, but I don't think of him as HOF material...perhaps HOVG.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Jackson always had his speed but you have to wonder why the Dolphins let him go or if he wasnt happy with Marino but even with the Packers, he retired early when he could have racked up more receiving numbers, especially in an offense like Holmgren's. Maybe he felt his body could no longer hold up but you would think he would want to play for two HOF QBs as long as he could ?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:Jackson always had his speed but you have to wonder why the Dolphins let him go or if he wasnt happy with Marino but even with the Packers, he retired early when he could have racked up more receiving numbers, especially in an offense like Holmgren's. Maybe he felt his body could no longer hold up but you would think he would want to play for two HOF QBs as long as he could ?
Good Point Brian i agree 100%
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Reggie White encouraged Jackson to come to Green Bay. They were teammates in Philadelphia -- became close friends. The Dolphins had signed younger TE Eric Green as their TE.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/03/29 ... 796453200/
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I dont see how any receiver would want to leave Marino but White must have sold Jackson on Favre.
The Packers also had the better defense than Miami ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I'm not sure if Jackson really had a choice to leave Miami, because Shula thought Eric Green was a better long-term, they invested money in Green in free agency, and so if I remember right, Jackson went on the trading block. Miami traded Jackson to Green Bay and from I remember he didn't want to play there -- but Reggie sold him on the Packers. What I don't remember is the exact timing -- if Reggie talked him into Green Bay before the trade was made or after. If memory serves correct though -- and the posted article kind of confirms it -- Jackson was going to get bounced from the Dolphins and it was a foregone conclusion that he was going to end up with another team. He was an older player by that time -- 30 used to be kind of where the line was drawn in terms of players expecting to be productive and he was about there.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael