2021, 1981 parallels

74_75_78_79_

2021, 1981 parallels

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

With this 2021 season marking the 40th anniversary of the season that had San Fran and Cincy each making it to their first ever Super Bowl (XVI in Pontiac, Michigan), we obviously did miss out on seeing such a matchup at SoFi two Sundays from now!

Just the same, a smorgasbord of commonalities between both campaigns exactly four decades apart...

*SF and Dallas met in the playoffs

*Jets lost their first three games, winning their first in Week #4 - and in both cases vs the same franchise (Oilers in '81, Titans in '21)!

*Dallas, who finished 1st in the East, swept the Eagles who finished in 2nd; both teams making playoffs

*SF beat Cincy at Cincy in early December

*Cincy swept the Steelers

*In the AFCCG, the Bengals beat a team (whose QB was a big-name marquee QB) whom they also beat during the regular season - only in this case, both games were close instead of both being lopsided; and in '81 the regular season win was on the road instead as the CC was at home instead

*Lions opened at home vs San Fran

*Tampa Bay won their division

Anything else?
Brian wolf

Re: 2021, 1981 parallels

Post by Brian wolf »

Similar to 1981, the season ending finale between the 2021 Raiders-Chargers game had alot riding on the outcome ...

In 1981, the Chargers had to beat the Raiders to win the division, while this years team had to beat them to make the playoffs. While the current Raiders team had to win to make the playoffs, the 1981 team had to beat SD to avoid its first losing season since 1964 with Cotton Davidson and Tom Flores at QB.(Lamonica and Stabler never had losing seasons)
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Nice additive, Brian! I didn't even think of that one while writing the original post! Perhaps the best example given! And, of course, I do remember that otherwise! Someone else here reminded me on a previous thread that they showed Craig Morton in his living room via-satellite. His Broncos, who were upset at Chicago the day before, were rooting for the Raiders so that they instead can win the division thus having their own opportunity to make an 'Epic' out of things in the Orange Bowl two weeks later.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Dan Fouts doesnt get enough credit for the BIG games he did win. The Chargers had to beat Denver in wk 13 to even have a chance at the division and did but after a tough loss to Buffalo, rebounded by beating a tough Bucs team before winning the division against the Raiders.

Though Rivers is a talented thrower, Herbert could somewhat be the next Dan Fouts for the 2020's
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Having watched that late-season Bills/Chargers game, 5th grade me stuck a fork in SD when it was over. The week leading up, I assumed that the loser of that battle-of-8-5s would be done. So much for that.

Of all the seasons that I have followed, I declare '81 as my all-time 2nd-favorite (with '80, my very first, being Numero Uno).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call ... I would have to go with the my first, the 1977 season. I was entranced by the Broncos and Raiders but fell in love with the Cowboys led by Staubach. That pass to Butch Johnson in the SB had me doing a somersault and I was a loyal fan until the team acquired Terrell Owens in 2006. By then Jerry Jones was getting on my nerves, though Romo helped me pull for them somewhat.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Having watched that late-season Bills/Chargers game, 5th grade me stuck a fork in SD when it was over. The week leading up, I assumed that the loser of that battle-of-8-5s would be done. So much for that.

Of all the seasons that I have followed, I declare '81 as my all-time 2nd-favorite (with '80, my very first, being Numero Uno).
My first season following football was '96, coincidentally as a 4th grader too. I'd also rank my first two seasons, '96 and '97, as my all-time favorites. It's funny how sports are never as good as they were when you were a kid.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

The Buffalo at KC game did remind me of the 81 Charger/Dolphin playoff. Neither team jumped out to a 24-0 lead in Buff/KC but it was similar in excitement as the game progressed.

We ALMOST had a Super Bowl 16 rematch, too.

This Bengal team scenario is a bit like the 81 49ers as well, coming off losing seasons, HC in his 3rd year, young QB who beat a perennial powerhouse in the championship, and we don't really know how good they truly are.

This year and the 81 playoffs were about as exciting as I can remember. Like this year's Bucs, the Jets almost had a big fourth-quarter comeback against the Bills. Then the Bills/Bengals went down to the wire as well in 81. Several excellent games both years.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael