Roethlisberger retires

George Bozeka

Re: Roethlisberger retires

Post by George Bozeka »

JuggernautJ wrote:And for those of us who don't go to faux news:
https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-qb-be ... 18-seasons

Putting that jersey on every Sunday with my brothers will always be one of the greatest joys of my life.
And that (imho) is what football is all about.

Let's please keep politics out of the Forum. Be civil and respectful.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

George Bozeka wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:And for those of us who don't go to faux news:
https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-qb-be ... 18-seasons

Putting that jersey on every Sunday with my brothers will always be one of the greatest joys of my life.
And that (imho) is what football is all about.

Let's please keep politics out of the Forum. Be civil and respectful.
I've already taken down my Bozeka for President yard signs.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Jay Z wrote:Rivers is not really the equal of Rothlisberger. Rivers had some pretty significant deficiencies as a clutch QB, and it can be seen in his splits. Rothlisberger is clearly better once you break down the splits.
If playoffs are a high impact factor, Rivers was 5-7 in the postseason, Ben was 13-10. Rivers only played in one conference championship game, Ben in five.

Though I can also see the argument against Ben in the HOF. He was never an all-pro player, never an MVP or even receiving a vote, and just could never seem to be on the same level as the elite QBs of his era - Peyton Manning, Brady, Rodgers.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Jay Z wrote:Rivers is not really the equal of Rothlisberger. Rivers had some pretty significant deficiencies as a clutch QB, and it can be seen in his splits. Rothlisberger is clearly better once you break down the splits.
If playoffs are a high impact factor, Rivers was 5-7 in the postseason, Ben was 13-10. Rivers only played in one conference championship game, Ben in five.

Though I can also see the argument against Ben in the HOF. He was never an all-pro player, never an MVP or even receiving a vote, and just could never seem to be on the same level as the elite QBs of his era - Peyton Manning, Brady, Rodgers.
It's not just the playoffs with Rivers. Trailing in the last 4 minutes of a game, he had 19 TD passes and 31 picks. As compared to Rothlisberger who was 33-23. Not everyone does well by this metric, Peyton Manning was 25-25, Rodgers 20-10, Brees 45-30, Russell Wilson 27-10, Brady 32-14. Matt Ryan also even at 24-24. Rivers' teams were 49-65 in games decided by seven points or less, which is frankly lousy for a QB with a 134-106 overall record. I don't know if Rivers is the worst there, but it's probably close.

Warner, who is in the HOF, and Matt Ryan have some of the same issues as Rivers. Warner had a better peak and less career. There is honestly not that much to pick between Ryan and Rivers. But Warner and Ryan at least could turn it on in the playoffs at least some of the time, Warner particularly, and Rivers just never did that and he needed to. So yeah, the SB QBs of this generation, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Wilson, on down the line all need to go in first. I don't think Rivers should go in if you're not going to put Matt Ryan in, I will say that.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Jay Z wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:

It's not just the playoffs with Rivers. Trailing in the last 4 minutes of a game, he had 19 TD passes and 31 picks. As compared to Rothlisberger who was 33-23. Not everyone does well by this metric, Peyton Manning was 25-25, Rodgers 20-10, Brees 45-30, Russell Wilson 27-10, Brady 32-14. Matt Ryan also even at 24-24. Rivers' teams were 49-65 in games decided by seven points or less, which is frankly lousy for a QB with a 134-106 overall record. I don't know if Rivers is the worst there, but it's probably close.

Warner, who is in the HOF, and Matt Ryan have some of the same issues as Rivers. Warner had a better peak and less career. There is honestly not that much to pick between Ryan and Rivers. But Warner and Ryan at least could turn it on in the playoffs at least some of the time, Warner particularly, and Rivers just never did that and he needed to. So yeah, the SB QBs of this generation, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Wilson, on down the line all need to go in first. I don't think Rivers should go in if you're not going to put Matt Ryan in, I will say that.
Good points. I wouldn't personally even put Matt Ryan in any sort of HOF discussion. He had one excellent season, and that is it, when he was the MVP, Offensive POY & first-team all-pro. That season inflated his career postseason numbers. Take that away, and he's 2-5 in the postseason (4-6 career), which is worse than Rivers. I think more of Ryan had him and the Falcons held on to win SB LI. Also, Ryan's only quarterbacked the Falcons to five winning seasons in his 14 years. I don't know if it is fair to say most of his yards came in garbage time, but Ryan, as you pointed out, was not a great comeback QB. I don't think anywhere near Ben, Brees, Manning or Brady.

I completely agree with you on Kurt Warner. He reminds me of Terrell Davis, who had a few really good seasons and ended up in the HOF. I think Ben and Rivers were superior QBs. Warner had Marshally Faulk for a time too. Rivers and Ben never had a world class talent like him in the backfield...

However, it will be fascinating to see how the HOF committee evaluates QBs from 2010 onward due to the rule changes, making the league a more offensive-based product. Will they all get in? Will the committee split hairs like we do?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Warner had Marshally Faulk for a time too. Rivers and Ben never had a world class talent like him in the backfield...
Rivers had Tomlinson for 4 years, including Tomlinson's peak and best season.

Roethlisberger had Bell for 5 years, when Bell was every bit at that level.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Warner was a tough case. Won a SB and three conference championships with accolades but also had a starting record of 13-29 from 2002-2007, losing his starting job in St louis to Bulger, his job with the Giants to Eli and job in Arizona to Leinart before taking it back and having excellent 2008, 2009 seasons before retiring. An unusual HOF career.

I dont believe Brady will retire yet without making a run for the Niners. Ryan, Rodgers and Stafford wont be too far behind but we will see. I dont believe Ryan, Eli or Rivers will make the HOF. It would be interesting if Brees is first ballot but Big Ben isnt. His last eleven years as starting QB, Ben only led the Steelers to one conference championship game, same as Brees.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

I read all the posts so no one has an issue with his off the field situations while a player? We're just gonna act like the NFL and ESPN and chalk it up to immaturity? I would think that would influence if he is a first ballot guy or not.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Didnt affect Ray Lewis ... though it has Jim Tyrer ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

^Yep.

Walt Sweeney it has.

A lot of people forget that Tom Brady lied and destroyed a cell phone in the under inflated footballs saga. But he's the "GOAT" so he gets a free pass...