general 1978 NFL pre-season predictions, expectations, etc

74_75_78_79_

general 1978 NFL pre-season predictions, expectations, etc

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The magazines, handbooks, the analysts, the experts...what were they expecting for this first 16-game regular season with an extra playoff team/extra playoff round per conference? Those in here who were following at the time...what were your takes/predictions? How did the new only-4-preseason games/16 regular season games/Super Bowl now end of January instead of mid-Jan treat you all?

I do know that SI’s ’78 preview had defending-Champ Roger on the cover in his blue road uni. Prediction on cover stating Dallas over (home-team) Miami. They were correct about Dallas returning to the big game along with Miami being a playoff team again. Correct me if wrong, but I’m pretty sure Steelers were being written off as getting old along with their D now going to suffer due to the obvious rules changes. I wonder how they thought Raiders would do amongst others. Oilers with #34 now added on??

I keep forgetting the name of that thick little handbook with the nice front and back glossy color photos (front cover always being an action photo of play from the previous year’s SB; e.g. the ’81 edition - Plunkett dropping back to pass with the Eagle pass-rush closing in, back cover Montgomery running from blue-jersey Dallas defenders in NFCC). I only ever had the ’81, ’89, and ’93 editions. I’d like to get ahold of the ’78 one. See what they had to say.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Mon May 28, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Guy From Mars

Re: general 1978 NFL pre-season predictions, expectations, e

Post by Some Guy From Mars »

This is going to be a fun thread. I have as part of my collection The Pocket Book Of Pro Football for 1978. Following are its predictions by Division:

NFC East
Dallas
Washington
Philadelphia
NY Giants
St. Louis

NFC Central
Minnesota
Chicago
Green Bay
Tampa Bay

NFC West
Los Angeles
Atlanta
New Orleans
San Francisco

Wild Card Teams: Chicago & Atlanta
Super Bowl XIII: Dallas

AFC East
Miami
Baltimore
New England
NY Jets
Buffalo

AFC Central
Houston
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Cleveland

AFC West
Oakland
Denver
Seattle
San Diego
Kansas City

Wild Card Teams: Denver & Baltimore
Super Bowl XIII: Oakland

In terms of predictions, they missed the collapse of Baltimore and (to a lesser degree) Oakland, but got it right in terms of the resurgence of Houston (with Earl Campbell). I can understand the underrating of Pittsburgh, particularly after the Steelers took a decided downturn in 1977.

BTW, I got the spelling of St. Louis correct this time! :D
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

No, ‘Saint’ is cool, lol. Perhaps the real proper spelling. The college spells it that way. Looks like Cards’ 0-4 finish year prior as well as Coryell no longer present made everyone lose faith. Still...Wilkinson should have gotten an opportunity to NFL coach elsewhere (anywhere where Pisarkiewicz wouldn’t be shoved down his throat...“or else”).

Sensible to pick Bears & Atl being that Chi made playoffs the year prior and Falcons performing that defensive masterpiece. Seemed like Vermeil was still under radar. No more Paul Brown but Bill Johnson’s back-to-back winnng seasons had to give faith in Cincy. Madden’s Raiders still kicking-A makes sense. I really wish Patera would have experienced just one playoff berth in the Emerald City! Late-’70s Hawks were gritty and had swagger (e.g. - not being “in awe” of Steelers Week #2 at the ‘Burgh! Played ‘em so tough, secondary trying to intimidate Swann).
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

In the SI Vault, I did see the 1978 issue, and I noticed that they had the Raiders picked first in the West.

Also, at the beginning of Denver's 1978 NFL Films Yearbook episode, the narrator basically said that the experts thought that the Raiders would take their AFC West crown back, and the Broncos would fall back into oblivion.

That was mis-guided, because that Raider team was getting older.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

George Allen had left by contract dispute and/or been fired from the Redskins after the 1977 season. LA Ram owner Carroll Rosenbloom was desperate to reach the Super Bowl and hired him to replace Chuck Knox (who had five straight division winners without a Super Bowl appearance) as the Rams' head coach. George Allen's second go around in LA was highly anticipated going into the 1978 season.

In training camp, Allen alienated the Ram veterans with harder practices than they were used to and a Captain Queeg style. Several players walked out of camp. The Rams lost their first two preseason games. Rosenbloom fired Allen who said with justification: "I get fired after two preseason games? What kind of chance is that?"

Long-time assistant Ray Malavasi was appointed head coach. CBS promptly hired Allen as an analyst. Throughout the 1978 season, George Allen was doing Ram games on TV and was in effect looking over the shoulder of the man who replaced him. It made for some interesting broadcasts.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

SixtiesFan wrote:George Allen had left by contract dispute and/or been fired from the Redskins after the 1977 season. LA Ram owner Carroll Rosenbloom was desperate to reach the Super Bowl and hired him to replace Chuck Knox (who had five straight division winners without a Super Bowl appearance) as the Rams' head coach. George Allen's second go around in LA was highly anticipated going into the 1978 season.

In training camp, Allen alienated the Ram veterans with harder practices than they were used to and a Captain Queeg style. Several players walked out of camp. The Rams lost their first two preseason games. Rosenbloom fired Allen who said with justification: "I get fired after two preseason games? What kind of chance is that?"

Long-time assistant Ray Malavasi was appointed head coach. CBS promptly hired Allen as an analyst. Throughout the 1978 season, George Allen was doing Ram games on TV and was in effect looking over the shoulder of the man who replaced him. It made for some interesting broadcasts.
Could you elaborate a little on what you meant by the Captain Queeg style? In the Caine Mutiny, Queeg was pretty unstable mentally. I was 11 at that time so I have no memory of what happened, but was Allen acting more eccentric than he normally did?
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:In the SI Vault, I did see the 1978 issue, and I noticed that they had the Raiders picked first in the West.

Also, at the beginning of Denver's 1978 NFL Films Yearbook episode, the narrator basically said that the experts thought that the Raiders would take their AFC West crown back, and the Broncos would fall back into oblivion.

That was mis-guided, because that Raider team was getting older.
Of all the 1978 pre-season magazines that I remember reading (since boxed away) I don't recall any of them having picked Denver to win the AFC West. "Broncomaniacs Can't Do it Again" read one publication. The consensus seemed to be that the Broncos were lucky in '77 and would not be as fortunate in 1978. Of course Denver went 7-1 in the Division and won it with a 10-6 record. With a few breaks the '78 Broncos could have been 15-1:

Denver 9 @ Minnesota 12 (OT) - Jim Turner misses an extra point in regulation

Denver 6 @ Baltimore 7 - Jim Turner's 27 yard field goal attempt is blocked with seconds remaining

N.Y. Jets 31 @ Denver 28 - Broncos blow a 28-7 lead. Jim Turner misses a 42 yard field goal attempt which would have sent the game into overtime

Denver 14 @ Detroit 17 - Broncos lose a close one on Thanksgiving Day

Pittsburgh 21 @ Denver 17 - Steel Curtain stuffs the Broncos at the Pittsburgh 1 yard line on the game's final play

A 23-0 loss at San Diego was the only regular season game that Denver lost decisively.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

nicefellow31 wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:George Allen had left by contract dispute and/or been fired from the Redskins after the 1977 season. LA Ram owner Carroll Rosenbloom was desperate to reach the Super Bowl and hired him to replace Chuck Knox (who had five straight division winners without a Super Bowl appearance) as the Rams' head coach. George Allen's second go around in LA was highly anticipated going into the 1978 season.

Could you elaborate a little on what you meant by the Captain Queeg style? In the Caine Mutiny, Queeg was pretty unstable mentally. I was 11 at that time so I have no memory of what happened, but was Allen acting more eccentric than he normally did?
I followed the Rams closely at the time in Pro Football Weekly and other sources. I recall PFW's reporter on the Rams, Rich Roberts, comparing Allen to Captain Queeg. He would make a big thing out of relatively small issues. Rosenbloom finally decided he and GM Don Klosterman couldn't work with Allen.

Allen may not have been any more eccentric than usual, but the Ram players liked Chuck Knox and the way Knox ran things. George Allen trying to impose his methods on a veteran team that had been quite successful just didn't work, at least in the short run.

Also, Isiah Robertson had been featured in a Sport Magazine story knocking his teammates on the defensive unit, which needless to say, enraged the others. Robertson was one of the malcontents who walked out of camp. Allen wanted to bench him in favor of Bob Brudzinski. The Robertson story continued through the season, after which he was traded to Buffalo, coached by Knox.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Ahhh, missing strawberries in training camp......

Here's a read I found on the Rams while looking for some info. on Isiah Robertson.
http://www.lamag.com/longform/1970s-l-r ... ic-decade/
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Captain Bligh might be an apter comparison.