San Fran 21 Cincy 3, Week #14, ’81

74_75_78_79_

San Fran 21 Cincy 3, Week #14, ’81

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=49e ... ORM=VRRTAP

Above are highlights and post-game interviews. Thirteen penalties in the 1st half! Apparently many TV-timeouts. You see one of the Bengal players saying that whenever they play an NFC team that CBS seems to call a timeout whenever they start to gain momentum. An excuse, or maybe some truth to it? Munoz was the only player whom I knew. Don’t know who the others are; their names weren’t given.

Cincy was dropped to 10-4 after this game. The Steelers, at 8-5, were on the eve of their 3-game season-ending collapse to come. As the piece above states, a win at Oakland tomorrow (Monday) night and they’re just a game behind going into their following game - at home - vs the Bengals. They were actually in control of their own destiny at that very moment going into Oakland for winning-out would have finished them at 11-5 with a 5-1 division record over what would have been a 4-2 finish for Cincy.

I’m surprised the highlights say that SF ‘dominated’ when, statistically, the game was the other way around. SF simply produced the key turnovers. Montana-to-Clark to go up 14-3 just before the half had to take wind out of Cincy’s sails. Bengals do credit SF’s short passes, then a run up middle wearing them out, keeping them off-balance. Bengals/SF Super Bowl was already being discussed, apparently, despite Dallas and also Eagles still looming large. The Bengals’ next loss would be...SBXVI itself which, again, had the statistical winner again losing where it counted most.
74_75_78_79_

Re: San Fran 21 Cincy 3, Week #14, ’81

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Answering my own thread, I'm watching the '81 'Freezer Bowl' and it's said that Vegas, prior to the season, had Cincy a 60-to-1 to win the SB as they had the Chargers a...4-to-1 fave!

Wow...can you imagine me going to Vegas circa August '81 and placing a, say, $100 bet that SF and Cincy play in the SB!! I wonder what odds I'd get/what I'd WIN?

Any chance they don't TAKE my bet (a la Tyson/Douglas)?
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=49e ... ORM=VRRTAP

Above are highlights and post-game interviews. Thirteen penalties in the 1st half! Apparently many TV-timeouts. You see one of the Bengal players saying that whenever they play an NFC team that CBS seems to call a timeout whenever they start to gain momentum. An excuse, or maybe some truth to it? Munoz was the only player whom I knew. Don’t know who the others are; their names weren’t given.

Cincy was dropped to 10-4 after this game. The Steelers, at 8-5, were on the eve of their 3-game season-ending collapse to come. As the piece above states, a win at Oakland tomorrow (Monday) night and they’re just a game behind going into their following game - at home - vs the Bengals. They were actually in control of their own destiny at that very moment going into Oakland for winning-out would have finished them at 11-5 with a 5-1 division record over what would have been a 4-2 finish for Cincy.

I’m surprised the highlights say that SF ‘dominated’ when, statistically, the game was the other way around. SF simply produced the key turnovers. Montana-to-Clark to go up 14-3 just before the half had to take wind out of Cincy’s sails. Bengals do credit SF’s short passes, then a run up middle wearing them out, keeping them off-balance. Bengals/SF Super Bowl was already being discussed, apparently, despite Dallas and also Eagles still looming large. The Bengals’ next loss would be...SBXVI itself which, again, had the statistical winner again losing where it counted most.

Ken Anderson had a terrible game, and it was disappointing to see that carryover in the first half of Super Bowl 16. I expected much more from Anderson in round two against the Niners, as Cincinnati trailed 20-0 at halftime.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=49e ... ORM=VRRTAP

I recall watching that game as 14 year old and I would agree with highlights. It seemed like the Bengals couldn't get anything going.