Father vs. Son(as NFL players)

L.C. Greenwood

Father vs. Son(as NFL players)

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

The recent topic of teenagers in the NFL brings up the real possibility we may have a father playing against his son in the pros. It's a unique dynamic, because of the violent nature of the NFL, and much different from the times brothers have faced off against each other. Many NFL players father children as teenagers, so if the non-kicking father can play into his late 30s(or longer), this scenario could play out on a football field. Something like a 21 year old son versus a 38 or 39 year old dad. I did a little research on this issue, and the closest I could find of a father/son active in the NFL in a non-kicking position would be Ed Budde/Brad Budde of the Chiefs. Ed's last season was 1976, and Brad's rookie season was 1980.

It's a fascinating situation, because assuming the father/son have the normal strong bond, it's difficult to expect either player to block that out completely on a football field. Compounding the problem would be the media coverage of this unique event. Does anyone think an NFL coaching staff would do anything different schematically in this potential scenario? For example, the son is a rookie WR, and the dad is a defensive back on the other side.
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Father vs. Son(as NFL players)

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I believe Ted Nesser played on the same team as his son.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I believe Ted Nesser played on the same team as his son.
Yes, Ted was player-coach of the Panhandles in 1921 and his son Charles played for them that season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Nesser
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Not the same thing, but I recall when Dave Shula played for the Colts in 1981, their upcoming game against the Dolphins was hyped for obvious reasons. Mike McCormick, who was coaching the Colts at the time, had enough respect for the elder Shula that he didn't get paranoid about family ties somehow playing a role. Of course, the Colts were their usual disaster self, so there probably wasn't much to be worried about.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

After the Buddes, the other father/son combos who waited the fewest seasons between the father's retirement and the son's debut aré eight: Terry and Eric Metcalf, and Tony and Anthony Dorsett.