Romo Retires

JuggernautJ

Romo Retires

Post by JuggernautJ »

Thank goodness.
All I could see was a terrible injury in his future if he played.

The NFL wants to know if he is a "Hall-of-Famer?"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... l-of-famer
sheajets

Re: Romo Retires

Post by sheajets »

This is peculiar, not so much his retirement but the fact that he is immediately being hotshotted to the #1 commentator role displacing Simms (who I think did a good job) I know Romo is a name but...how about a few years with the C or D pairings doing Browns-Jets games before the bigtime.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

JuggernautJ wrote:Thank goodness.

I found it interesting that one of the writers in the article above says that Romo belongs
in the "Hall of Very Good". Nice that people have heard of it.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

John Grasso wrote:

I found it interesting that one of the writers in the article above says that Romo belongs
in the "Hall of Very Good". Nice that people have heard of it.
I think an interesting article would be comparing and contrasting Romo to Danny White and Don Meredith. Personally, I think Romo might have been the best of the three. I was thinking about that today, how in nearly 60 years, the Cowboys (with a little gap here and there) have been pretty much defined by five quarterbacks who have led them throughout their history. Now it looks like Prescott will be number six and Dallas will be set for the next ten years or so.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:This is peculiar, not so much his retirement but the fact that he is immediately being hotshotted to the #1 commentator role displacing Simms (who I think did a good job) I know Romo is a name but...how about a few years with the C or D pairings doing Browns-Jets games before the bigtime.
It is possible Romo would not have accepted the Browns-Jets games role. It is also possible that another network would have hired him if CBS did not. Obviously, CBS believes Romo will be tremendous.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Romo has a good tv personality so it is not surprising that the networks would be vying for him.

As far as how Romo compares to past Cowboy qb's like White and Meredith that is a very interesting question. Obviously White and Meredith had a lot more success but at the same time they had about twice the team that Romo did. Dallas's defense through pretty much all of Romo's career was subpar at best and dreadful at other times. Compared to White and Meredith who played on teams with some of the leagues best defenses.

When you look back on it with how inadequate Dallas's defenses were Romo really had to force as much as he did in order to allow his team to win. Dallas was not put on White or Meredith's shoulders the way Dallas was put on Romo's shoulders.

It definitely would have been interesting to see how Romo would have done on a more complete team. I imagine he would have at the very least gotten to a Super Bowl and chances are good he would have won a Super Bowl or two.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

sheajets wrote:This is peculiar, not so much his retirement but the fact that he is immediately being hotshotted to the #1 commentator role displacing Simms (who I think did a good job) I know Romo is a name but...how about a few years with the C or D pairings doing Browns-Jets games before the bigtime.
The name Bill Walsh suddenly comes to mind...
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Are they serious?
Byron

Post by Byron »

lastcat3 wrote:Romo has a good tv personality so it is not surprising that the networks would be vying for him.

As far as how Romo compares to past Cowboy qb's like White and Meredith that is a very interesting question. Obviously White and Meredith had a lot more success but at the same time they had about twice the team that Romo did. Dallas's defense through pretty much all of Romo's career was subpar at best and dreadful at other times. Compared to White and Meredith who played on teams with some of the leagues best defenses.

When you look back on it with how inadequate Dallas's defenses were Romo really had to force as much as he did in order to allow his team to win. Dallas was not put on White or Meredith's shoulders the way Dallas was put on Romo's shoulders.

It definitely would have been interesting to see how Romo would have done on a more complete team. I imagine he would have at the very least gotten to a Super Bowl and chances are good he would have won a Super Bowl or two.
Yes, he really had only one legitimate shot in 2014 and even that was with a very average defense. I think, if Dak had not caught fire last season, Romo could have taken the Cowboys to the Superbowl and possibly won it. Overall, I think he was a better QB than Dak last season (who, admittedly, had an incredible rookie season).

We'll see how he does in the booth. The general consensus is that he will probably have an "out" in his contract with CBS that will allow him to come back if the situation is right (and he so chooses). On the other hand, he is talking like he's made the decision and is going with it.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I think an interesting article would be comparing and contrasting Romo to Danny White and Don Meredith. Personally, I think Romo might have been the best of the three.
I think Romo was more consistently 'above-average' than the other two. White wasn't incredibly durable, and Meredith was a bit inconsistent (although he started out with an expansion supporting cast). But I think they are all kind of similar in that they were productive relative to their era yet had a propensity for making killer mistakes.