Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Halas Hall

Re: Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Post by Halas Hall »

That John Lujack still holds the record for most passing yards in a game ( 468) by a Chicago Bear. Set in December of 1949.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Steelers haven't beat Eagles at Philly since 1965, two of their SB-win years included - '79 & '08.

I know I posted this before, but may as well again here on this thread, but quite the parallels between both those Steeler campaigns..

*Both were 12-4, 2nd-seed

*Both lost on the road to the 1st-seed during regular season

*In each case, a wild card from their division eliminated the top-seed in the divisional round hence visiting, and losing to, the 'Burgh in the AFCC.

*Both teams beat Wash, win at Pats, sweep Browns, beat Dallas at home, lose at Philly, beat the Cardinals.

*Both lost their 7th & 15th games dropping them to 5-2 & 11-4 respectively.

*Both beat a 9-7 team in the SB (both games close), one vs a future-StL team, the other vs a former.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Quarterback Turk Schonert played nine years, eight with Cincy and one with Atlanta. The weird part is that the one season with the Falcons came in the middle of his career, after which he returned to the Bengals.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Halas Hall wrote:That John Lujack still holds the record for most passing yards in a game ( 468) by a Chicago Bear. Set in December of 1949.
Stranger still is NVB still holding the league record of 554 set in 1951.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Stranger still is NVB still holding the league record of 554 set in 1951.
I'd be shocked if this isn't broken within the next 5 years.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

MatthewToy wrote:Chad Brown, Willie Williams and Antwann Randle-El are drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers. All 3 leave as free agents. All 3 comeback years later.
Forgot Larry Foote, James Harrison and Plaxico Burress.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

The Green Bay Packers drafted a future serial killer Randall Woodfield in the 17th rd of the 1974 draft. He was a WR from Portland State. He later became known as the I-5 Killer.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

In the 70's there was an Oiler who's last name was Houston.

The fact no player ever ran the wrong way like Jim Marshall it's interesting it hasn't happened to anyone else, or as far as I know.

I once saw some show about the NFL TV coverage and mentioned about the reasoning behind the blacking out of home games and it was mention a 1951 game between the Rams and I forget the other team was put on TV and too many people ended up staying home instead of going to the game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:In the 70's there was an Oiler who's last name was Houston.

The fact no player ever ran the wrong way like Jim Marshall it's interesting it hasn't happened to anyone else, or as far as I know.
I'm pretty sure there was a case of a guy picking off a pass and falling uncontrollably into the end zone--where a safety was then declared. :roll:

A Marshall-like moment came on the opening kickoff of the Titans-Steelers Week 1 game in 2013 when Darius Reynaud inadvertently stepped back in the end zone and downed it--for a safety.
JWL

Post by JWL »

On 11-5-72 against the St. Louis Cardinals, Bill Bradley of the Eagles punted on 4th-and-4 in the second quarter. The next play was a Tim Van Galder pass that was intercepted by Bradley. The punt and interception brought the Eagles from a 4th-and-4 at their 25 to a 1st-and-10 at their 26.

Four plays prior to punting, Bradley fielded a punt. The next three plays were offensive plays for the Eagles. It is highly unlikely Bradley was on the field for those three plays.

Fielding a punt, punting and intercepting a pass on three consecutive plays by one player doesn't have a particularly decent chance of ever happening again.