Who Will Be the Hall of Fame Contributer Nominees?

JohnTurney

Who Will Be the Hall of Fame Contributer Nominees?

Post by JohnTurney »

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... buter.html

I am thinking George Young and one other. Not sure of Beathard or Tags, but they may put in an owner, Modell? What owners really deserve it? Modell? Meeh.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Re: Who Will Be the Hall of Fame Contributer Nominees?

Post by Ken Crippen »

I would think Young. Definitely a good choice. As per your article, I also agree that officials will probably have to wait a while before they are considered. I am not sure how many owners deserve it that have not already been inducted. I would guess a GM.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Definitely fine with Young or Beathard, as well as Gil Brandt, Steve Sabol, and Art McNally. Less taken with Tags, but prefer him to any of the owner candidates.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Owner candidates might include Pat Bowlen, Jerry Jones, Art Modell, and Robert Kraft. Not the most inspiring group to me, and also not that taken with Bucko Kilroy or C.O. Brocato who have also been semifinalists. Unless they add coaches to this category, the well will run dry soon enough.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Unless they add coaches to this category, the well will run dry soon enough.
I agree. I didn't like the addition of the contributor sub-category. It seems like nominating 1 or 2 every year, very soon we'll reach a critical mass in which we'll run out of candidates.

IMO, these guys are deserving....
Definitely fine with Young or Beathard, as well as Gil Brandt, Steve Sabol, and Art McNally.
...and maybe Jones, Bowlen and Kraft as owners. (as mentioned)

...and after these guys the well starts to run dry.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I would vote for McNally, like Dick LeBeau he has been in the league since 1959 and even that the officials are criticzied every week, you can see what happens when you brought replacement refs instead of the experienced ones.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I agree with the article in that a Joe Thomas debate would be interesting...lots of good things, some bad things, some weird things. If I were to write a football bio, I would choose Thomas (or Norm Van Brocklin) as the subject...just a very intriguing person in NFL history.

A name I've never heard mentioned before is Pat Summerall. I think he would fit in well with the nebulous "contributor" category...decent player who kicked one of the greatest FGs of all-time, narrated NFL Game of the Week and Week in Review segments for NFL Films, arguably best announcer in NFL history, crossed over to announce numerous big events at CBS.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:I agree with the article in that a Joe Thomas debate would be interesting...lots of good things, some bad things, some weird things. If I were to write a football bio, I would choose Thomas (or Norm Van Brocklin) as the subject...just a very intriguing person in NFL history.
Thomas is like the football version of baseball exec Hank Peters. Peters helped build the powerhouse A's teams of the early 70's, ran the minor leagues, took over the Orioles and got them to two WS (winning in '83), then laying the groundwork to help Cleveland come out of a 30+-year sleep to become a powerhouse in the late 1990's. Of course, his ego was much more in check than Thomas' and he didn't go out of his way to alienate seemingly everyone. Peters has never been seriously mentioned as a HOF candidate and given Thomas' personality flaws, those two factors will likely keep him off any PFHOF ballot.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Bryan wrote:I agree with the article in that a Joe Thomas debate would be interesting...lots of good things, some bad things, some weird things. If I were to write a football bio, I would choose Thomas (or Norm Van Brocklin) as the subject...just a very intriguing person in NFL history.

A name I've never heard mentioned before is Pat Summerall. I think he would fit in well with the nebulous "contributor" category...decent player who kicked one of the greatest FGs of all-time, narrated NFL Game of the Week and Week in Review segments for NFL Films, arguably best announcer in NFL history, crossed over to announce numerous big events at CBS.
The PFHOF always seems to have the contributor stuff messed up. The Sabols waiting as long as they did was an embarrassment, and even then only Ed got in. Pat Summerall should most definitely be in.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I'm hoping that Steve Sabol gets in soon. I'm really hoping that Johnny Robinson gets in sooner.