'05 Steelers VS '06 Colts (once playoffs began, that is)

74_75_78_79_

'05 Steelers VS '06 Colts (once playoffs began, that is)

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Two of what quite a few consider the 'lesser' of this century's Lombardi winners, even if they may not (or may) actually be the 'two worst'. In this case, Steelers would be going up against a tougher defense than the '05 installment. Yes, the nadir of the always suspect-enough Colts' D in the Dungy Era clearly came as that '06 regular-season wore on down. Specifically against the run is where they were ever so putrid. Key example, of course, being that utterly shameful December outing at Jacksonville. '06 Colts were sort-of like '97 Broncos and '12 Ravens, great start (in Colts' case, 9-0/10-1), sloppy finish, but "wakes up" as soon as the playoffs begin! In Colts' case, their D that is! And it was very important that they did..."wake up" for Peyton was actually not at his A-game. Not in the 1st half of AFCC either, he nor the D! Then both came together in the 2nd half and you do know the rest!

I'm still going to give Steelers the nod. The only 'weak' moment in that Pittsburgh run that began with Bettis's "last-hurrah" vs 9-2 Bears, was their performance in SBXL itself. Perhaps 'spent' from making killer 'road-warriors' out of themselves, they were flat. Luckily, in addition to making the few big plays when it mattered, Seattle and that other team were flat as well. Colts played better in their SB than Steelers did in theirs, but Indy's win was a product of their opponent having an obvious weakness at a certain (important) position. If so much as an Erik Kramer, even a Jim Miller, or especially a...Jay Cutler were behind center, #18 finally gets his first this past season (and as a 'passenger')! Colts had quite a few stellar regular-seasons that didn't transfer to ultimate playoff success (overlooked example, '08, beating Steelers at Heinz). Those darn one-and-done losses to weaker Chargers! '06, to me, just not that remarkable in comparison to others who won-it-all. Should have won that Ring (or Rings) in other seasons. 2011 G-men (once playoffs begin, that is) likely-enough beat them as well.
Hail Casares

Re: '05 Steelers VS '06 Colts (once playoffs began, that is)

Post by Hail Casares »

I'd go with the 2006 Colts. They beat by far the best team on their way to the SB(The 2006 Pats). The Colts had a good enough offense that year IMO to explode on you and put up points against a team like NE. I'm not sure the Steelers had that firepower.