2005- Who wins Super Bowl 40 if Steelers miss playoffs?

CSKreager

2005- Who wins Super Bowl 40 if Steelers miss playoffs?

Post by CSKreager »

Let's say either the Chiefs or Chargers had won one more game (i.e. both teams lost 2nd half leads against Dallas/Philadelphia) or the Steelers had lost one more game (i.e. Chargers on Monday night or the Green Bay game in November).

Who would've won Super Bowl 40 if Bettis' Detroit journey never gets going?

What happens if either the Chiefs/Chargers play the Bengals? (And of course, Palmer maybe doesn't get hurt)

And what might have happened going forward in the AFC with these teams against the Broncos/Colts/Patriots (assuming New England still plays and beats Jacksonville, unless there is a potential tiebreaker situation. Obviously, could've made for different matchups on one side of the bracket)

Assuming the Seahawks still rep the NFC side, who would they have played In SB 40? And what happens with the reffing if a different AFC team plays Seattle instead?
7DnBrnc53

Re: 2005- Who wins Super Bowl 40 if Steelers miss playoffs?

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I think that the Bengals beat KC or SD in the WC round, but lose to Denver.

Then, NE would have went to Indy. Indy beat them in NE on MNF that year. However, Indy won in NE in 06, too, and almost lost at home to them in the playoffs. And, they didn't have the James Dungy situation hanging over them in 06 like they did in 05. So, NE takes advantage, and winds up in Denver for the AFC Title Game.

However, there will be no fourth Lombardi in five years. Broncos win at home, and go on to beat the Hawks in Supe 40.

As a result, Jake Plummer retires (he said he would have if Denver won the title that year), and the Broncos still draft Cutler. To care take for a year, they bring in FA Jeff Garcia on a one-year deal. He leads them to a 10-6 record and a first-round loss in Foxboro or Indy, and Cutler gets the keys to the car the following year.
74_75_78_79_

Re: 2005- Who wins Super Bowl 40 if Steelers miss playoffs?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

To me, Vermeil's Chiefs are really the only 'almost'-6th-seed worth mention being that if SD does beat the 'Burgh MNF, Chiefs still get nod over them due to better division record. Considering Cincy's post-season ineptitude in the Marv Lewis era, I would guess Chiefs advance beyond the 1st-round. The buck would then stop in Indy. If Colts beat KC at Arrowhead two years prior, then an even better Colts squad beats them in '05 divisional round as well. A physical, peaking Steeler squad obviously not around to bounce Indy in this scenario. No disrespect to Denver, but just can't see Jake Plummer advancing over Peyton; especially at RCA despite #18 himself having had his share of losing playoff games there during his time in Indy.

As for a hypo-Colts/Hawks SBXL? Anyone's guess. It would have been a great one. Hawks very well win it but of course I don't say that because their penultimate-game win over them. Colts' starters didn't play that entire game for home-field was already wrapped up.