2008 Season- Biggest December collapse?

CSKreager

2008 Season- Biggest December collapse?

Post by CSKreager »

There were a boatload of teams that faded late when the postseason was in sight:

NY Jets with Favre: 8-3 to 9-7

Dallas Cowboys: 8-4 to 9-7

Tampa Bay: Lost 4 straight games after a 9-3 start

Denver- Blew a seemingly safe December AFC West lead, which ended Cutler and Shanahan Denver eras + seemingly perpetuated the 'Chargers don't lose in December' and 'Norv Turner- Rasputin' trends

What was the biggest of these December doozies, and which of these teams- had they got in- could've done the best of preventing Pittsburgh/Arizona from making SB 43 in Tampa Bay?
7DnBrnc53

Re: 2008 Season- Biggest December collapse?

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I think the Jets may have had the best chance with a healthy Favre. I thought they had a good shot at the SB after they won in Tennessee.

As for Denver, they would have been DOA if they made the playoffs. I don't see them beating the Colts in the WC Game. They probably give up a 40-burger because their D was awful.

As a result, Shanahan would have stayed as coach, and if they would have had a 9-7 record, they would have been picking in the 17-20 range.

Shanny allegedly wanted Orakpo, but he would have been gone. Knowing that, and knowing how much he would have had to improve Denver's D, I can see him taking Clay Matthews, Jr. with the first-round pick. Also, he allegedly would have cut WR Brandon Marshall.