2002 Dolphins- if they made the playoffs, what if?

CSKreager

2002 Dolphins- if they made the playoffs, what if?

Post by CSKreager »

Let's say they don't screw up any of their last 2 games on the road against Minnesota/New England.

Had they gotten in the AFC playoffs (remember, this was the only season Tom Brady has ever missed the playoffs when healthy) in a goofy season when Tennessee and Pittsburgh were not exactly vintage 2-3 seeds (Titans started off awfully, Steelers defense took a vacation) and they had beaten Oakland in week 15, could the Dolphins have found a way to maybe do some playoff damage for once?

Yes, they had been blasted in prior playoff losses, but given how well Ricky Williams ran the ball that season in a year where the AFC wasn't exactly as stacked as it would be in coming years, might they have found their way to San Diego against the Bucs?
74_75_78_79_

Re: 2002 Dolphins- if they made the playoffs, what if?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

If Dolphins win last two games in '02, they'd be division-winners at 11-5 but still a 3rd-seed to Titans due to what would have been their 8-4 conference record to Titans' 9-3. Pittsburgh at 10-5-1 would be 4th-seed thus avoid their suspense vs Cleveland. Miami would host Browns instead (Browns beat Jets during regular season) and I say Dolphins win that one as Steelers beat Indy again. Titans started off bad in '02. They weren't one of Fisher's best playoff squads while in Nashville, but down the stretch they played like a more-than-ample enough 1st-rd-bye-qualifier. Beating Indy twice, Steelers, at Giants, Pats in a 24-7 convincer...yes, a true 2nd-seed to me. I think Titans beat Miami in the divisional round, and by more than they did Pittsburgh (Ned's 'acting' wouldn't be necessary). As not so great (especially on D) Steelers were in that...'year of Tommy Gun', I think they were a better team than Miami as well. Still, Raiders beat Steelers as they did Week #2, and then Tennessee as they actually did do in the CC.