Cavaliers win

Wendell02

Cavaliers win

Post by Wendell02 »

I know this is not football related, but the Cavaliers edged the Golden State Warriors tonight to become the first team to erase a 3-1 deficit to win the NBA championship and became the first Cleveland franchise to win a professional championship since the 1964 Browns. As a transplanted Titans fan in Ohio, good to see Cleveland celebrate a championship.
Rupert Patrick

Re: Cavaliers win

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I'm not an NBA fan but as a sports historian I do understand the significance of game 7 and I did watch. With the ratings in game 6, there was anticipation that it could be the highest rated NBA game of the era. I was reading an article yesterday afternoon which was making the argument that this game 7 could possibly be the greatest game in NBA history due to the various historical implications (Cleveland going for their first title, no team never coming back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals, the two top players of the era in Curry and James facing one another in a winner take all game) and all it needed was a great game to make it so. I thought it was a pretty close game the whole way, going down to the final 30 seconds. I think there is a good chance in time this will be considered the greatest NBA game ever played.

I remember being in downtown Detroit when the Red Wings won the title in 1997 after a 42 year drought, and it was a great scene. My favorite moment was being in the sports bar that the Red Wings players frequented at about 5 AM when a couple players brought in the Stanley Cup, and when they carried the Cup past me I leaned over and kissed the Cup part of the trophy.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

A Cleveland championship is finally being celebrated in HD as opposed to grainy color (or B&W) film. :D
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

The city of Cleveland is on quite a roll with the Lake Erie Monsters winning the American Hockey League's Calder Cup last week and now this.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

BD Sullivan wrote:A Cleveland championship is finally being celebrated in HD as opposed to grainy color (or B&W) film. :D
Meanwhile, back in Buffalo ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
slats7

Post by slats7 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:A Cleveland championship is finally being celebrated in HD as opposed to grainy color (or B&W) film. :D
Meanwhile, back in Buffalo ...
Nah. Cubbies are next. :)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Looks like San Diego has replaced Cleveland at the top (in collective team years), with Buffalo very close behind. Sadly, San Diego may have to depend solely on the Padres to break their curse after this year.
Steviek

Post by Steviek »

JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As a Bay Area sports fan this has been a tough week.

First the Sharks, finally in a Stanley Cup series after 25 years of futility and near misses get roundly beat by the Penguins.

And now our beloved Warriors, defending Champs and owners of the best record in NBA history go down in flames in an epic game 7.

The games, the teams and the accomplishments were amazing.
The losses only more painful because of same.

Sports. Gotta love it.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Oh, and LeBron was Brownian in his ability to stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the floor.
A truly incredible performance.