1vs2-seed CCs & 1vs1-seed SBs we're okay to have missed

74_75_78_79_

1vs2-seed CCs & 1vs1-seed SBs we're okay to have missed

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

unless, of course, it was your team that missed out; or the team that made it instead is one you don't like.

As for 1vs2 conference championship games that never were, 2001 first comes to mind. Pretty sure Jauron's 2nd-seeded Bears don't give the top-seeded Rams quite the NFCC game the Eagles did.

Super Bowls between top-seeds that never were...'95 with a bullet! Chiefs/Cowboys would certainly not have been a fun watch.

Any others you can think up?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
JohnH19

Re: 1vs2-seed CCs & 1vs1-seed SBs we're GLAD to have missed

Post by JohnH19 »

[quote="74_75_78_79_"]
Super Bowls between top-seeds that never were...'95 with a bullet! Chiefs/Cowboys would certainly not have been a fun watch. [quote]

And how do we know that with any certainty?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JohnH19 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Super Bowls between top-seeds that never were...'95 with a bullet! Chiefs/Cowboys would certainly not have been a fun watch.

Should have worded it better, nothing's ever 'certain', but just feel in all likelihood it wouldn't have been all that suspenseful - if their Thanksgiving Day matchup that year was any indication. Maybe not a blowout but nothing special.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JohnH19 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Super Bowls between top-seeds that never were...'95 with a bullet! Chiefs/Cowboys would certainly not have been a fun watch.

If Rich Gannon started instead of Steve Bono, Chiefs-Cowboys XXX could have been interesting.

Gannon relieved an ineffective Bono in the AFC Divisional Round against Indy, and he almost hit Lake Dawson for a go-ahead TD with about 45 seconds left.

If they win, and Gannon gets the start the next week against the Steelers, they have a better chance to win. I also give them a decent chance to beat Dallas with Gannon. That 95 Cowboy team wasn't as great as people think it was.

Even if they lose, though, you have to think that Gannon is the man moving forward, and there is no Elvis Grbac two years later. I wonder how things would have been for KC in the early-00's with Gannon at QB, Schottenheimer as coach (maybe he doesn't quit with a SB trip), and Derrick Thomas living (if he thinks better of going out that day).
JWL

Post by JWL »

Considering I do not like the Steelers and Cowboys and am okay with the Chiefs, I would have found Chiefs vs Cowboys to be a fun watch whereas watching Steelers vs Cowboys was not fun at all.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

CC
1979: Tampa Bay at Dallas has the whiff of a blowout for the Boys.
1992: Miami at Pittsburgh--Eh
1997: Pittsburgh at KC--Steelers coming off a sleep-inducing 7-6 win over the Pats; Marty looking for a way to blow it again.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

BD Sullivan wrote:CC
1979: Tampa Bay at Dallas has the whiff of a blowout for the Boys.
1992: Miami at Pittsburgh--Eh
1997: Pittsburgh at KC--Steelers coming off a sleep-inducing 7-6 win over the Pats; Marty looking for a way to blow it again.
I was thinking Mia@Pit '92 as well. It's not that I don't think it wouldn't have been closer than the actual Buf/Mia game that took place (in fact, I think it would have been a good game) but that IMO they were actually not the two best teams in the AFC that year. Bills@SD a more intriguing AFCC match. As for a Steeler/Niner SB that very year, it would have been much closer than 52-17 but the real point being that neither was the actual best in their conference in my and I'm sure most peoples' opinions.

TB/Dal? I agree a little with that, at least worth a mention, but another side of me says hey you never know. After the way Bucs slipped into playoffs, they did wake up against Philly; and that D of theirs. In either event, I think Philly@Dallas would have been the most appealing NFCC matchup.

Steelers/KC? Actually may have been a closer game than the actual Den/Pit one.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:CC
I disagree with this one. I thought at the time that the two best teams in 1997 going into the playoffs were the Chiefs and Broncos, and when they met in the Divisional playoffs, I felt whoever won that game would win the Super Bowl. I also felt that way in 2000 when Baltimore and Tennessee met in the Divisional playoffs, that it was in fact the true Super Bowl in that whoever won that game would go all the way from there.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Rupert Patrick

Re: 1vs2-seed CCs & 1vs1-seed SBs we're okay to have missed

Post by Rupert Patrick »

1978 Steelers vs Rams instead of Dallas in the Super Bowl would probably not have been nearly as good as what Super Bowl XIII was, and I doubt it would have been as good as Super Bowl XiV. The Rams were the top seed in the NFC due to defeating the Cowboys early in the season, but as the year went on it was clear that was a fluke as the Cowboys were in fact a much stronger team.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
slats7

Post by slats7 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:That 95 Cowboy team wasn't as great as people think it was.
They were very fortunate the Packers upset Frisco at home.