New Series, could be good discussions

JohnTurney

New Series, could be good discussions

Post by JohnTurney »

As we debate why these guys were chosen. I have 99% complete through 1973 when the awards ended. Lots of new-tyope discussion, rather than just HOF or not HOF if folks are willing. It's been tense here for a while, but I sense a breath of fresh air with a couple questionable apples no longer around

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... d-nfl.html
1963 Associated Press AFL and NFL Players of the Week
JohnTurney

1964 is up

Post by JohnTurney »

ChrisBabcock

Re: New Series, could be good discussions

Post by ChrisBabcock »

John... Keep up the great posts. Yours is one of my favorite football blogs. Will you be getting back to the all time single season teams at some point? I bet the farther back you go with older teams the more difficult they get to put together!
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

ChrisBabcock wrote:John... Keep up the great posts. Yours is one of my favorite football blogs. Will you be getting back to the all time single season teams at some point? I bet the farther back you go with older teams the more difficult they get to put together!
Yes, I will finish all the started series. The Career Years has about 4-5 in the hopper, just waiting on a couple of bits of research from either the HOF or the Jets. I nfact if anyone is near Canton, could use a little help.
JWL

Post by JWL »

My Jets team is done, so will look forward to yours.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The late start for the Player of the Week selections looks to be timed to the end of the World Series--for whatever reason. They couldn't select one beforehand?

Also, the 1963 list notes that they were unable to locate the AFL Player of the Week for Week 12 that would have been announced on November 28--although, since that was Thanksgiving Day, it likely would have been the day before. I can't be the only one who came to the quick realization that no selection was made for a simple reason--due to the postponement of games because of the JFK assassination.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

BD Sullivan wrote:The late start for the Player of the Week selections looks to be timed to the end of the World Series--for whatever reason. They couldn't select one beforehand?

Also, the 1963 list notes that they were unable to locate the AFL Player of the Week for Week 12 that would have been announced on November 28--although, since that was Thanksgiving Day, it likely would have been the day before. I can't be the only one who came to the quick realization that no selection was made for a simple reason--due to the postponement of games because of the JFK assassination.
I didn't think of that, I will make a note. I do appreciate it. When I complite things sometimes I miss the bigger picter.
JohnTurney

1969 has oddity I guess it is World Series again

Post by JohnTurney »

NFL and AFL began different weeks, but I never could find AFL week 1 and then at end of season they may be missing one.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

In that last week for '69, the AFL only had the two playoff games: KC @ NYJ and Houston @ Oakland.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

BD Sullivan wrote:In that last week for '69, the AFL only had the two playoff games: KC @ NYJ and Houston @ Oakland.
right, they began a week early and usally the Ap didn't pick playoffs----they must not have selected on in week 1.