Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Interesting article from Steve Matoren on Medium.com:

https://medium.com/@imaliveoutthere/why ... .dd3rxclsy
Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Why No One In the NFL Wants Tim Tebow

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:Interesting article from Steve Matoren on Medium.com:

https://medium.com/@imaliveoutthere/why ... .dd3rxclsy
I think I missed the part that was interesting...
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

While I do believe that Tebow should be on some team's roster, I find the author's obsession to be somewhat creepy. I don't have the time or patience to read the whole article.

Having said that, I really don't know why some QB needy team doesn't give him a real shot. He has shown that he can win and isn't that what counts? It's not like he's a bad actor or a divisive force in the locker room. If anything, it's the media that has had the biggest negative effect on his career when they heaped superstar publicity on him before he ever took a snap as a pro.

The end of Tebow's career in Denver reminds me somewhat of Marlin Briscoe's plight with the Broncos in 1969. Marlin the Magician performed very well for the '68 Broncos but because of his color, size and playing style he never got another chance to play QB in the AFL/NFL. Briscoe, at least, was able to parlay his abilities into a fine career as a WR but he was extremely hurt and disappointed that he never got another shot at being a QB.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnH19 wrote:While I do believe that Tebow should be on some team's roster, I find the author's obsession to be somewhat creepy. I don't have the time or patience to read the whole article.

Having said that, I really don't know why some QB needy team doesn't give him a real shot. He has shown that he can win and isn't that what counts? It's not like he's a bad actor or a divisive force in the locker room. If anything, it's the media that has had the biggest negative effect on his career when they heaped superstar publicity on him before he ever took a snap as a pro.

The end of Tebow's career in Denver reminds me somewhat of Marlin Briscoe's plight with the Broncos in 1969. Marlin the Magician performed very well for the '68 Broncos but because of his color, size and playing style he never got another chance to play QB in the AFL/NFL. Briscoe, at least, was able to parlay his abilities into a fine career as a WR but he was extremely hurt and disappointed that he never got another shot at being a QB.
And you would have thought that after what he did in Denver in 2011, with Peyton Manning coming in, the Broncos still had Tebow as insurance if Manning didn't pan out, but if Peyton was OK, Tebow could pick up a clipboard for a couple years a la Aaron Rodgers and soak up whatever he could from Manning and John Elway. I would think that with that knowledge of numbers 18 and 7 to nurture his raw talent, once Manning retired, Tebow would have been ready to tear up the league just as Rodgers did once Favre left Green Bay. But it seemed clear to me Tebow rubbed John Elway the wrong way, and Elway ran him out of Denver on a rail, and practically gave him away for a couple draft picks to ruin his confidence.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

But it seemed clear to me Tebow rubbed John Elway the wrong way, and Elway ran him out of Denver on a rail, and practically gave him away for a couple draft picks to ruin his confidence.
He must have. On 103.4 The Fan in Denver a year or so ago, ex-Bronco DE Alfred Williams (co-host of The Drive) said that John Elway was upset when Tebow led the comeback against the Dolphins in his first start. He only played him because he wanted to "Suck for Luck".

Near the end of the season, there were some games where he hardly threw the ball (like the KC game in Week 17). I know that he wasn't a great passer, but it almost seemed like they didn't want to win. Same thing with that NE playoff loss. I know that they didn't have much of a chance, but when they fell behind big, they didn't even try to pass much. Elway did not want to win a SB with this guy.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

JohnH19 wrote:He has shown that he can win and isn't that what counts?
I really don't think that this is true.

Let's assume that we can get past the "football=team sport" thing, and assume that you can give one player on a team credit for the team's win. When you look at those games Tebow supposedly won for the Broncos, you're seeing the same kind of thing almost every time: the offense runs for 200 yards, passes for 130 yards, and scores 17 points. When I picture a QB picking a team up and carrying it on his shoulders to victory, I envision something quite different than that.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I don't think anyone believes that he carried the team on his shoulders. He simply found a way to win some games, including one in the playoffs. Obviously, he was/is a very different kind of QB. The NFL has always had a strong aversion to QBs who don't fit the mold.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I would hope this doesn't degenerate into a "Tebow was blackballed because he was a Christian..." crusade.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

BD Sullivan wrote:I would hope this doesn't degenerate into a "Tebow was blackballed because he was a Christian..." crusade.
It didn't help his cause ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Something that bothers me is that many think that Tebow hasn't got a fair shot at a NFL roster after playing with Denver, which is untrue. He spent a full season in 2012 with the Jets, and then spent some time in the preseason with the Patriots and Eagles in 2013 and 2015.