Two NFL Films-related things

Steviek

Re: Two NFL Films-related things

Post by Steviek »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Reaser wrote:The problem isn't the existence of the network. It's that it's run like an ESPN
Doesn't Steve Bornstein (who came from ESPN) still run it?
Bornstein stepped down in 2014. And he received a king's ransom as a reward for running the network into the ground content-wise.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Steviek wrote:Bornstein stepped down in 2014. And he received a king's ransom as a reward for running the network into the ground content-wise.
Yup, we talked about it here back then, he got around 20 million.

There was hope that the replacement would do things different but not much has changed, other than "enhancing" (to use the Goodell era NFL's favorite term) the TNF package.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

...complete with horrendous color rash uniforms which make TNF almost unwatchable.
Is it just me or do JIm and Phil almost seem to want to be somewhere/anywhere else during those broadcasts? Their enthusiasm level is non-existent compared to what they present during their Sunday games.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Generally not a fan of the NFL Network either, and I wouldn't miss it if it disappeared. The constant barrage of Manning/Brady/Favre/Tebow stuff (the last two less often nowadays, thank heavens) got old in a hurry. The top 10s are usually laughably bad. Their HoF themed shows are usually superficial in content -- you get better substance at this site or at the Zoneblitz website. And none of their other shows interest me, though perhaps if I gave the "A football life" series a chance it might prove interesting.

Question -- does anyone actually watch things like the NFL Combine or the NFL Draft (especially the later rounds) as it unfolds live?

It's nice to be able to tune in and see the news crawl along the bottom and exit afterwards, but that's about it for me except for actual live games.

FWIW, the Baseball Network holds no interest for me either outside of actual games. Used to watch "Clubhouse Confidential" over there sometimes (the Sabermetric show), but it was cancelled. Figures. And the HoF shows stink there as well.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

bachslunch wrote:Generally not a fan of the NFL Network either, and I wouldn't miss it if it disappeared. The constant barrage of Manning/Brady/Favre/Tebow stuff (the last two less often nowadays, thank heavens) got old in a hurry. The top 10s are usually laughably bad. Their HoF themed shows are usually superficial in content -- you get better substance at this site or at the Zoneblitz website. And none of their other shows interest me, though perhaps if I gave the "A football life" series a chance it might prove interesting.

Question -- does anyone actually watch things like the NFL Combine or the NFL Draft (especially the later rounds) as it unfolds live?

It's nice to be able to tune in and see the news crawl along the bottom and exit afterwards, but that's about it for me except for actual live games.

FWIW, the Baseball Network holds no interest for me either outside of actual games. Used to watch "Clubhouse Confidential" over there sometimes (the Sabermetric show), but it was cancelled. Figures. And the HoF shows stink there as well.
MLB Network used to replay a lot of old games (in their entirety) in the off season back when they first started up, but now they're just like the NFL Network and think fans just want to see reruns of the same news rehash show during the offseason.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

"MLB Tonight" is excellent. They have live updates of games and they don't spend much time on pop culture and hype like NFL Network does. There is a lot of smart commentary. "Quick Pitch" is a good highlights show. I enjoy "Intentional Talk" even though it is silly but it is meant to be that. Their morning show is unwatchable for me. Luckily, I work on weekday mornings and don't have to even come across that show often. The only times I run into a situation where the same show is being replayed is on weekend mornings.

Baseball movies are shown from time to time. I watch some of them. A series similar to "A Football Life" would be great for the network but overall I am pleased with MLBN.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I had it for two years on a cable promotion and I don't really miss it now that I downgraded. Like others have stated - "Total Access" seemed to be on constantly. It was nice to catch a "football life" occasionally, but it was such a long shot that anything might be on that I wanted to see, I mostly forgot I even had it. One thing I utilized is that through my "On Demand" menu, I had access to watch short (30 minutes or so) Super Bowl highlight shows - those I enjoyed - I don't remember exactly what they had - most all of the early SBs I think plus the 70s and 80s. Probably the most entertaining was SB IV since they had Hank Stram mic'd up.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

bachslunch wrote:Question -- does anyone actually watch things like the NFL Combine or the NFL Draft (especially the later rounds) as it unfolds live?
I do.

For me, anything football related has to be watched and is more interesting than anything else I could be watching at that time.

Though I also have 4 TV's so for example, I never really have to choose between watching the draft or watching the Mariners game. I watch both.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Reaser wrote:Best of all, for me at least since I like watching football, is every preseason game is shown. Now with streaming and such I can watch all the games anyways but that was a big deal - to me - when instead of only being able to watch the HOF game, the 4 Seahawks games and the handful of nationally televised games, I then/now get to watch all 65 preseason games.
Ugh, this would be my personal hell. I avoid the Network like the Plague during the month of August. And don't get me started on the Combine. What entertainment value anyone gets from that is beyond me.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Another thing that the NFL Network is missing - a one on one interview show along the lines of MLB Network's superb Studio 42. The NFL Network truly lacks a interviewer with the gravitas to do a one hour interview with the major stars and past historical figures; they would have to borrow an Al Michaels or Chris Berman to host the show.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen