Better HC, Don Coryell or John Robinson?

74_75_78_79_

Re: Better HC, Don Coryell or John Robinson?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JohnH19 wrote:
CSKreager wrote:I always felt Coryell's Chargers underachieved by comparison.

I mean, John Robinson won an NFC West title with Dieter freaking Brock (along the way, beating the likes of Danny White/Montana/Elway)
Dieter freaking Brock was a damn good quarterback who had a pretty good statistical season with the Rams, all things considered. It would have been better if Robinson didn't coach the Rams the same way he coached the Trojans and let him throw the ball more than 20-25 times a game. Trust me, I had season tickets all 10 seasons he played in Winnipeg and no one on either side of the border had a better arm. Despite Brock being obviously uncomfortable in the conservative Rams offense, after 11 seasons of throwing the hell out of the ball up here, he did still set what was then the Rams record for single season completion percentage. The '85 Bears made a lot of QBs look bad so losing to them in an ugly fashion in a cold, miserable NFC Championship Game was no disgrace.

Here's a link to the Sports Illustrated article from August 1985 about Brock joining the Rams:

http://www.si.com/vault/1985/08/19/6225 ... -an-enigma
Throwing a ball between the goal posts from 55 yards away on one knee, throw a ball through a car wash without it getting wet, ball thrown so hard it gets stuck between top of helmet and facemask... ...sounds Paul Bunyan/Bo Jackson-like to me.