AFL Related

JeffreyMiller

AFL Related

Post by JeffreyMiller »

OK, a good friend recently asked the question: AFL players most deserving of HOF enshrinement who have not yet made it. Here is my short list:

1) Otis Taylor (Chiefs)
2) Tom Sestak (Bills)
3) John Robinson (Cheifs)
4) Winston Hill (Jets)
5) Lionel Taylor (Broncos)

This was just off the top of my head. Tomorrow the list could change, but I think I could make a solid argument in the room for these guys. Thoughts? Arguments?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
ChrisBabcock

Re: AFL Related

Post by ChrisBabcock »

1) Johnny Robinson (miles ahead of my 2 through 5)
2) Mike Stratton
3) Winston Hill
4) Otis Taylor
5) Gino Cappelletti
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

1. Johnny Robinson
2. Jim Tyrer (no chance, but on-the-field accomplishments are HoF, IMO)
3. Winston Hill
4. Gino Cappelleti
5. Abner Haynes
6. Otis Taylor (adding a 6th, since Tyrer has not chance)
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

2. Jim Tyrer (no chance, but on-the-field accomplishments are HoF, IMO)
I completely forgot about him. Probably because I subconsciously already delete him from consideration in my mind for obvious reasons. I'd probably have him right behind Robinson on my list too. But like you said, no chance.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Robinson is unquestionably a strong candidate, but I think Taylor was a dominating presence and the prototype of the fast, big and powerful receivers HCs drool over today. If I were building a team, I would take Taylor first. But I think both deserve SERIOUS consideration for the HOF.

While Tyrer won't make it for obvious reasons, he is a viable candidate--his credentials are right up there.

OK, so the non-Chiefs ... Sestak is hurt by the short career, but when he was healthy, he was as good as anybody in either league. Winston Hill's absence is more of a puzzle, given the fact that he was the best tackle in the league after Mix and Tyrer.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

The only one I'd vote for on the original list of five is Robinson. I'd vote for Tyrer too, if he ever made it into the pool for consideration.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:The only one I'd vote for on the original list of five is Robinson. I'd vote for Tyrer too, if he ever made it into the pool for consideration.
I'm with Bob. Robinson clear #1, Tyrer is "HOF" level but we all know why that won't happen. That's it, for me.

I would add that the more I see of Winston Hill the more I like him as a good/great player. I've only seen a bit though but if I ever see enough and he's as good as he is in the games/GOTW's/HL's that I've seen then he could be on the list.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I might be tempted to sneak Dave Grayson into this list. Honeslty, I only vaguely knew about his career until doing research for recent HOVG voting.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Johnny Robinson, Winston Hill and Otis Taylor are my top three. There are arguments to be made for others listed above and also for Houston Antwine and Dave Grayson and maybe a few others.
JWL

Post by JWL »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I might be tempted to sneak Dave Grayson into this list. Honeslty, I only vaguely knew about his career until doing research for recent HOVG voting.
We posted about him at the same time. I nominated him for the HOVG this time around.