AFL Related

ChrisBabcock

Re: AFL Related

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I nominated him for the HOVG this time around.
Thank you. I voted for him. :D
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Who actually saw Lionel Taylor play? He stands out to me as someone who's been passed over because he excelled only from 1960-1965. People talk about how graceful Alworth was but Lionel T was also spectacular. Tremendous ability.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnR wrote:Who actually saw Lionel Taylor play? He stands out to me as someone who's been passed over because he excelled only from 1960-1965. People talk about how graceful Alworth was but Lionel T was also spectacular. Tremendous ability.
In terms of Physical prowress Lionel is right up there. Two others (one already mentioned) Otis Taylor and Art Powell. All three would be prototypes today, though Powell and O. Taylor were faster than L. Taylor, but L. Taylor looked like he had better hands. No?
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Top options from the old AFL not in for me:

1. Johnny Robinson
2. Jim Tyrer
3. Walt Sweeney
4. Winston Hill
5. Dave Grayson
6. Larry Grantham
7. Tom Sestak
8. Ed Budde
9. Houston Antwine
10. Earl Faison
11. Lionel Taylor
12. Art Powell
13. Mike Stratton
14. Tombstone Jackson
15. Otis Taylor
16. Bob Talamini

Am most enthusiastic about the top 6, more or less in that order. Am fine with the next 6, though would be less concerned if they didn't make it in. Am pretty wishy washy about the last four, and am not taken with Gino Cappelletti as a HoFer.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:The only one I'd vote for on the original list of five is Robinson. I'd vote for Tyrer too, if he ever made it into the pool for consideration.
I'm with Bob. Robinson clear #1, Tyrer is "HOF" level but we all know why that won't happen.
Considering what we now know about football related head trauma and how it affects the brain, and considering the modern approach to mental health is the "ban" on Jim Tyrer still valid?

I would think, considering what we now know and how we address same in the modern day his HoF worthiness should be re- considered (based only on how well he played football).

He was obviously very ill at the end of his life...
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:
JohnR wrote:Who actually saw Lionel Taylor play? He stands out to me as someone who's been passed over because he excelled only from 1960-1965. People talk about how graceful Alworth was but Lionel T was also spectacular. Tremendous ability.
In terms of Physical prowress Lionel is right up there. Two others (one already mentioned) Otis Taylor and Art Powell. All three would be prototypes today, though Powell and O. Taylor were faster than L. Taylor, but L. Taylor looked like he had better hands. No?
My understanding is that Lionel Taylor was a classic example of a possession type receiver. One thing that strikes me as definitely a plus for him is that he put up really good numbers while possibly having one of the worst collection of QBs ever throwing to him.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Reaser wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:The only one I'd vote for on the original list of five is Robinson. I'd vote for Tyrer too, if he ever made it into the pool for consideration.
I'm with Bob. Robinson clear #1, Tyrer is "HOF" level but we all know why that won't happen.
Considering what we now know about football related head trauma and how it affects the brain, and considering the modern approach to mental health is the "ban" on Jim Tyrer still valid?

I would think, considering what we now know and how we address same in the modern day his HoF worthiness should be re- considered (based only on how well he played football).

He was obviously very ill at the end of his life...
One thing this last HoF election definitely reinforced by voting in Ken Stabler and Eddie DeBartolo is that there is clearly no semblance of a character clause to consider. Granted, murder/suicide is worse than what these folks did, but still.

It's an interesting question whether Tyrer had CTE or something similar. Apparently, violent behavior can be an issue for some who suffer from it. But without samples to test, we'll likely never know.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:Considering what we now know about football related head trauma and how it affects the brain, and considering the modern approach to mental health is the "ban" on Jim Tyrer still valid?

Don't want to derail the thread into a discussion about head trauma and such so I'll just say I don't buy a lot of that.

That aside, I think the HOF "should be" for the best players, Tyrer was certainly one of them. I think he's worthy regardless of what happened away from the field - which that stuff isn't supposed to matter anyways but seemingly does, in this case.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I do not wish to sidetrack this thread either.
I will start another.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I would put Art Powell ahead of Lionel Taylor. Never saw either play.