Could Stabler had played for Lombardi?

JoeZagorski

Could Stabler had played for Lombardi?

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys:

Just an opinion question here. Could Ken Stabler have played for a head coach like Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry? Why or why not? I look forward to reading your opinions. Thanks!

Joe Zagorski
Bryan

Re: Could Stabler had played for Lombardi?

Post by Bryan »

If Jurgensen could play for Lombardi, I don't think there would be an issue with Stabler playing for Lombardi.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:If Jurgensen could play for Lombardi, I don't think there would be an issue with Stabler playing for Lombardi.
Not to mention Hornung
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

On page 45 of Jim Brown's 1964 book, "Off My Chest," he said: "I doubt that anyone would say the Green Bay Packers, a partying crew of great stamina, suffered from dissipation."
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

The Packers had some partiers off the field, but they really didn't play that way. I don't think that Lombardi would have put up with the picks that Stabler threw even when he was at his peak with a winning team.

I also think that Stabler was dumped by the Raiders after 1979 partially for off the field issues, which is fairly damning in my view for a veteran QB.

Namath I think could have played for Lombardi without any problem. Stabler is more of a question mark to me.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jay Z wrote:The Packers had some partiers off the field, but they really didn't play that way. I don't think that Lombardi would have put up with the picks that Stabler threw even when he was at his peak with a winning team.

I also think that Stabler was dumped by the Raiders after 1979 partially for off the field issues, which is fairly damning in my view for a veteran QB.

Namath I think could have played for Lombardi without any problem. Stabler is more of a question mark to me.
Wasn't Lombardi's mantra essentially, "I'll put up with your crap as long as you can produce. One you can't, you're gone"? While Starr wasn't necessarily known as being mobile, the cumulative effect of Stabler's knee trouble that made him in statue in his later years probably would have sent him packing.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Joe Zagorski wrote:Hey Guys:

Just an opinion question here. Could Ken Stabler have played for a head coach like Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry? Why or why not? I look forward to reading your opinions. Thanks!

Joe Zagorski
Stabler played for Paul "Bear" Bryant in college, so I don't see a problema with him playing for Lombardi (Sadly, Stabler's first action in a regular season NFL game was after Lombardi had died).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

I think Stabler could have played for Lombardi. Landry, too

But, would Landry and Lombardi put up with so many INTs? Their style of football was 60% or more run 40% pass and while they took shots, they liked to avoid INTs. Stabler got more free reign from Madden in that they would live with a pick or two in first half and had confidence, when it counted Stabler would make plays and win. I guess i think Stabler was less disciplined as a QB than Landry's QBs and Starr
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Great responses from all of you folks!
Joe Z.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

He played for Bryant, so he probably could have played for Lombardi.