Gino Marchetti
Merlin Olsen
Bob Lilly
Dick Butkus
Lawrence Taylor
Jack Ham
Night Train Lane
Ronnie Lott
good list, no one can criticize that one . . . .
Todd Pence

Re: Top 10 Defensive Players of All Time

Post by Todd Pence »

Any top 10 defensive players list that leaves off Alan Page cannot be taken seriously.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Todd Pence wrote:Any top 10 defensive players list that leaves off Alan Page cannot be taken seriously.
Why is that? Isn't it possible that he may rank 11th in a serious person's mind? I think there can be lists without him that are well thought out, and if someone ut him in a top 10, they, too, would not be wrong or unserious.

From my readings here and elsewhere, there is a general consensus that the top 4 DTs of all-time were Lilly, Olsen, Page. and Greene (listed in the order they entered NFL). There may be some who put Page 1st and some who put him 4th. And those who put him 4th of the greatest of the great, may have a hard time putting him a top 10 since you would have to have 4 DTs in the top 10 of all players, leaving 6 for DEs, LBers and DBs.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnTurney wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:Any top 10 defensive players list that leaves off Alan Page cannot be taken seriously.
Why is that? Isn't it possible that he may rank 11th in a serious person's mind? I think there can be lists without him that are well thought out, and if someone ut him in a top 10, they, too, would not be wrong or unserious.
Considering he was good enough to win MVP in 1971 as a DE should vault him into strong consideration--especially when Deion Sanders does make the list.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Considering he was good enough to win MVP in 1971 as a DE should vault him into strong consideration--especially when Deion Sanders does make the list.
I understand "strong consideration". I am not sure I understand "Any top 10 defensive players list that leaves off Alan Page cannot be taken seriously"

As as been discussed he's always considered one of top 4 DTs, but not always the top one. I really do think a top 10 defensive players list could be taken seriously with Page on the list of 10 or with him not on the list of 10. If I did a top 10 I would seriously consider Page as one of top 10, but some might disagree.

I think he's one of those who would be on a "bubble" to make Top 10 lists of best defenders ever.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I have Page as my #3 DT...although Joe Greene would probably be ahead of him if Greene hadn't suffered a pinched nerve in 1975 that affected him the rest of his career. I thought about putting Page on there, but I think Marchetti, my #3 DE, was just a better player...and I didn't want to use six spots on defensive linemen.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

conace21 wrote:I have Page as my #3 DT...although Joe Greene would probably be ahead of him if Greene hadn't suffered a pinched nerve in 1975 that affected him the rest of his career. I thought about putting Page on there, but I think Marchetti, my #3 DE, was just a better player...and I didn't want to use six spots on defensive linemen.
All the four DTs had different issues. Your rightly mention that Greene's neck did bother him. He had two careers, pre-1975 and 1975-to the end. His greatness from 1970-74, though was stunning.

Page lost weight in 1977, he still made All-NFC, though I am nut sure he deserved it, Elam, Brooks, Randy White all had better seasons, IMO. He was okay with Bears and did have another All-NFC in 1980.

Lilly began as a DE and it wasn't until 1963, mid-season that the Flex defense was used full time and he thrived. Then, in 1973 and 1974 he was lifted on passing downs for Bill Gregory.

Olsen didn't have the "downs" other than a knee that slowed him in 1971, but I wonder if his peak was as high as the other three.

Of couse, a down Olsen, Page, Lilly, Greene year was still pretty good.

I would say
Pass rush
1. Page
2. Lilly
3. Greene (healthy)
4. Olsen
5. Greene (nicked)

Run stop
1. Greene (healthy)
2. Olsen
3. Lilly
4. Page

Overall
1. Lilly
2. Greene (healthy)
3. Olsen
4. Page.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Lilly had Lee Roy Jordan and Mel Renfro...Greene had Lambert and Blount...the 1971 Vikings defense was one of the most dominant in NFL history, and Alan Page had Carl Gersbach and Ed Sharockman.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Page also had Carl Eller and Jim Marshall on the line with him, and Paul Krause in the secondary ... not too shabby ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:the 1971 Vikings defense was one of the most dominant in NFL history
In their 20-12 playoff loss, the key play of the game came on the third play of the second half with Dallas leading 6-3. Bob Lee's pass was picked off at the Viking 43 and returned to the 13. Duane Thomas ran it in on the next play. The Cowboys' other touchdown came on a 52-yard drive. As bad as the Vikings offense was that year, they actually outgained Dallas 311-183 in the game. What killed them was five turnovers--four picks and a fumble, along with the fact that Dallas had exactly one penalty all game--for five yards.