Finally! Gloves...

oldecapecod11

Finally! Gloves...

Post by oldecapecod11 »

But... the last line may foretell the ultimate outcome.

NFL plans to create a standard for gloves

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... or-gloves/
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JohnH19

Re: Finally! Gloves...

Post by JohnH19 »

It's about time. I don't consider any of the "great" catches we see these days truly highlight reel worthy because I know darn well it's the gloves that are responsible for many of them. My recommendation would be no gloves at all unless game time temperature is under 50 degrees.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

JohnH19 wrote:...My recommendation would be no gloves at all unless game time temperature is under 50 degrees.
Bah! Under 50 is not glove-needing weather - under 30, maybe but not really.
They can wear those pouch-type jerseys and have hand-warmers sewn in.
If it is really cold, let them wear those woolen gloves that Mama used to knit.
Funny though, it is hard to imagine those bimbettes they chase sitting in a little knitting circle.
But, who knows? Knitting is better than being assaulted by Ben in a loo or being beaten in an elevator.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I think the Rick Reilly segment on these gloves is pretty revealing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmxw4K3w4N4

These gloves are the new stickum, only it doesn't get all over the ball. Like stickum, the NFL will have to ban these gloves as they give players an unnatural advantage.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

oldecapecod11 wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:...My recommendation would be no gloves at all unless game time temperature is under 50 degrees.
Bah! Under 50 is not glove-needing weather - under 30, maybe but not really.
They can wear those pouch-type jerseys and have hand-warmers sewn in.
If it is really cold, let them wear those woolen gloves that Mama used to knit.
Funny though, it is hard to imagine those bimbettes they chase sitting in a little knitting circle.
But, who knows? Knitting is better than being assaulted by Ben in a loo or being beaten in an elevator.
Hey, I'm in Winnipeg! I know 50 (10 C) isn't cold! I just think that 50 is a temp that today's pampered divas wouldn't cry frostbite about. ;)
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JohnH19 wrote:It's about time. I don't consider any of the "great" catches we see these days truly highlight reel worthy because I know darn well it's the gloves that are responsible for many of them. My recommendation would be no gloves at all unless game time temperature is under 50 degrees.
Years ago on the previous Forum, someone wrote about how present day receivers made more spectacular receptions than in say, the 60's. I pointed out they didn't need gloves in the 60's to make great catches.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by SixtiesFan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:29 am
"Years ago on the previous Forum, someone wrote about how present day receivers made more spectacular receptions than in say, the 60's. I pointed out they didn't need gloves in the 60's to make great catches."

No longer can they write of blocking and tackling.
It's pushing and shoving now and let's pause and think of a safe way to stop this runner.

So, they focus on catches - synthetic or otherwise - or non-catches.
And they wonder, is it a catch? Even the replay guy doesn't know for sure.

The next day, the "official" word tells us, it should not have been a catch or, it should have been a catch.
But, the game is over. Someone went home with the marbles.

We've heard the words before and not just concerning sports. "It's time to take the gloves off."

Well, it's time to take the gloves off.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I agree that it's time to take the gloves off, but I think that NFL ball will continue to evolve with Monday morning highlights in mind. Twenty years from now, the competition committee will probably be debating how much of the surface area on the ball should be covered with velcro, and there will be another generation of viewers who won't have any concept of what the game was like in the 20th century. The comment that Madden passed along ("Pretty soon, these gloves are going to be able to catch a ball without a hand in them."), unfortunately, is probably an apt prediction of things to come.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Mark L. Ford wrote:The comment that Madden passed along ("Pretty soon, these gloves are going to be able to catch a ball without a hand in them."), unfortunately, is probably an apt prediction of things to come.
Ironic that Madden would make such comments considering how much stickum Biletnikoff used. After he left, Lester Hayes had a career year in 1980 with 13 picks and helped the Raiders win a Super Bowl. The NFL then banned it and he never had more than four picks the rest of his career.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Rupert Patrick » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:07 am
"I think the Rick Reilly segment on these gloves is pretty revealing:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmxw4K3w4N4
"These gloves are the new stickum, only it doesn't get all over the ball. Like stickum, the NFL will have to ban these gloves as they give players an unnatural advantage."

Yes; the league will likely ban the gloves.
BUT... in keeping with the pinball machine-like objective of points and glitter, the gloves will only be banned
for use by defensive players.

---

by BD Sullivan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:15 pm
"Ironic that Madden would make such comments considering how much stickum Biletnikoff used. After he left, Lester Hayes had a career year in 1980 with 13 picks and helped the Raiders win a Super Bowl. The NFL then banned it and he never had more than four picks the rest of his career."

Don't think the scientists in the labs of the winged goddess of victory did not take heed of John Madden's prediction.
No doubt, they have started to design a jersey made completely of the adhering material.
Receivers will return to long-sleeved jerseys and defensive players will be limited to short sleeves and jerseys
of the current fabric.

And finally, the league will open the officiating crews to women and create an additional assignment.
The wardrobe mistress will be responsible for monitoring uniform compliance and will have
an iridescent green flag instead of yellow.
~ Arnie Weinmeister