http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... -time.html

Top 100 Pro Football Books of All-Time
Chris Willis, NFL Films
Part 1 of 5
Numbers 100-81
ChrisBabcock

Re: Top 100 Pro Football Books of All-Time

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I clicked on the link and was immediately greeted by what I'm in the process of reading right now. :) Rockin the Rockpile by our own Jeffrey Miller at #100.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

If we get to the top three & it's "Old Leather", "Dutch Clark", & "A Nearly Perfect Season"...someone's got some splainin' to do.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Who's taking bets that INSTANT REPLAY will be #1?
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I'd say the Thinking Man's Guide should be a the top -- or the top two spots, one for each edition, since they're quite different. And I'd put the Pro Football Chronicle way up there too.

Then there's Lee Grosscup's book Fourth and One, The Forgettables, and both of Bill Ryczek's football books (Crash of the Titans and the other one about Connecticut teams in the 1960s).
mwald

Post by mwald »

There are popular books and there are critics' darlings, books for other writers. The best book is when the two meet.

Will be interesting to watch how this plays out.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I would think Total Football would have to be in the top five.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

David Maraniss' book on Lombardi will also be up there. A personal favorite I'd like to see is Lance Rentzel's ghosted autobiography, "When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow"
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I read a book called Sid Gillman : Father Of The Passing Game. I went out to Amazon to read the reviews, and what I assume is our own TJ Troup gave it a one-star review! Apparently he didn't think the book had enough about how Sid Gillman changed football strategy.

I would agree that there's not a lot about his strategy in the book. I liked the book for other reasons. The book did a good job, I thought, of explaining his career and how he was viewed by others. But each of us may look for different things in books. I'm not as big on the strategy angle. No right or wrong answer there, I think.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Will any of those Super Bowl books sold at grade school book fairs in the 80s when I was a lad be on the list? I, for one, hope so.