Out of the Blue

Bob Gill

Out of the Blue

Post by Bob Gill »

Steve Brainerd of the PFRA sent me several rosters tonight from the North Atlantic Football League in 1967 -- teams from places like New Britain and Bridgeport, Conn., and Manchester, N.H. Each of them had quite a few guys who played in the "major" minor leagues of the '60s, usually the Atlantic Coast League. So I was looking through them, enjoying the familiar names, when I came across a familiar one who I was definitely not expecting:

Clarence Clemons.

He was listed as a center, 6-4 and 280, playing for the Asbury Park Generals. Right away I thought, this must be the guy who played saxophone with Bruce Springsteen, the guy they called the Big Man. So I looked him up on Wikipedia, and sure enough, Springsteen's guy went to Maryland State (which I think is now Maryland-Eastern Shore) on a music and football scholarship, and supposedly went to camp with the Cowboys, though it doesn't say what year. So I don't think there's any question that this is the same guy.

I'm not a big Springsteen fan myself, but I got quite a kick out of finding that, so I thought I'd post it here in case anybody else would find it interesting too.
JohnTurney

Re: Out of the Blue

Post by JohnTurney »

Bob Gill wrote:Steve Brainerd of the PFRA sent me several rosters tonight from the North Atlantic Football League in 1967 -- teams from places like New Britain and Bridgeport, Conn., and Manchester, N.H. Each of them had quite a few guys who played in the "major" minor leagues of the '60s, usually the Atlantic Coast League. So I was looking through them, enjoying the familiar names, when I came across a familiar one who I was definitely not expecting:

Clarence Clemons.

He was listed as a center, 6-4 and 280, playing for the Asbury Park Generals. Right away I thought, this must be the guy who played saxophone with Bruce Springsteen, the guy they called the Big Man. So I looked him up on Wikipedia, and sure enough, Springsteen's guy went to Maryland State (which I think is now Maryland-Eastern Shore) on a music and football scholarship, and supposedly went to camp with the Cowboys, though it doesn't say what year. So I don't think there's any question that this is the same guy.

I'm not a big Springsteen fan myself, but I got quite a kick out of finding that, so I thought I'd post it here in case anybody else would find it interesting too.
Great find . . .
from wikipedia

As a youth Clemons also showed potential as a football player, and graduated from Crestwood High School (now Crestwood Middle) before attending Maryland State College[3] on both music and football scholarships. He played as a lineman on the same team as Emerson Boozer and attracted the attention of the Cleveland Browns, who offered him a trial. Clemons also tried out for the Dallas Cowboys.[8] However, the day before, he was involved in a serious car accident which effectively ended any plans of a career in the National Football League.[9][10][11][12] He would eventually be posthumously inducted into the university's Athletics Hall of Fame on February 24, 2012.[13]
mwald

Post by mwald »

Like any "find," this is pretty well known among a certain group of people. In this case, Springsteen or rock and roll aficionados. You can find numerous articles about it on the web, some including photos of Clemons in football uniform.

Here's one:
http://www.chorusandverse.com/content.php?id=20040119A
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by mwald » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:06 am
"Like any 'find,' this is pretty well known among a certain group of people. In this case, Springsteen or rock and roll aficionados. You can find numerous articles about it on the web, some including photos of Clemons in football uniform.
Here's one:

http://www.chorusandverse.com/content.php?id=20040119A"

Ahhh! Truth at last! Truth at last! Thank Veeshik_ya; we've Truth at last.
From out of those cardboard boxes in basements come facts known to certain people who see no need to tell of them.
It's like learning the latest Governor Cuomo had a namesake that was a minor league 3rd-baseman; or,
that the 1957 Negro Leagues All-Star Game featured East left fielder Nat (Sweetwater) Clifton of the Detroit Stars
who went on to NBA fame with the New York Knicks & Detroit Pistons
and East pitcher Charley Pride of the Memphis Red Sox who found his niche in Country & Western music.

"Clarence Clemons, the E Street Band's saxophonist and founding member, died on June 18, 2011, of complications
from a stroke. 'Clarence lived a wonderful life,'Springsteen said in a statement. 'He carried within him a love of people
that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage.'"
~Wikipedia
Yakety Sax! Yakety Sax!
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister