Heath Miller (and Aaron Smith)

74_75_78_79_

Heath Miller (and Aaron Smith)

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

He just announced his retirement. Very unfortunately he won't make Canton. Blocking instead of pass-catching numbers don't resonate well with the voters. Same with Aaron Smith on the other side of the ball being too much of a 'blocker-eater'. Both ought to be HOVG at least, right? First ballot HOVG, perhaps?
JohnH19

Re: Heath Miller (and Aaron Smith)

Post by JohnH19 »

Why is it unfortunate or even worth mentioning that Miller won't be elected to the HoF? He had a superb 11 year career, played on two championship teams and I'm sure that the Steelers organization will honor him in a suitable fashion. That's more success than 99% of players experience.

The obsession with the HoF in every sport drives me up the wall.
JWL

Post by JWL »

I don't know what is unfortunate about Miller not making the Hall of Fame someday. He had a nice, good career.
JohnTurney

Long cut

Post by JohnTurney »

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... basic.html

Not done with career, not is not really living up to #2 overall status either, but does some good things
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Agreed. Consider that Miller had a very solid career, making a boatload of money doing something he enjoyed and now likely has the freedom to do anything he wants for the rest of life, including nothing at all of so inclined. We should all be so lucky.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnH19 wrote:Why is it unfortunate or even worth mentioning that Miller won't be elected to the HoF? He had a superb 11 year career, played on two championship teams and I'm sure that the Steelers organization will honor him in a suitable fashion. That's more success than 99% of players experience.

The obsession with the HoF in every sport drives me up the wall.
This.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Heath in HOVG? I see it. Feasible. HoF? Let's remember the HoF is for the players who are the best of all-time. Do I think Miller is among the best of all-time at TE? No. Though he did have an excellent career with the Steelers. Spent his entire career with one team, an uncommonality!
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

If I were to ever sit down and do a full roster all time Steelers team I'd probably put Heath 3rd on the depth chart behind Eric Green and Bennie Cunningham. Not a Hall of Famer.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

MatthewToy wrote:If I were to ever sit down and do a full roster all time Steelers team I'd probably put Heath 3rd on the depth chart behind Eric Green and Bennie Cunningham. Not a Hall of Famer.
I have to disagree, I'd put Miller on the Steelers all-time team. Yeah, Green was probably a better player, but he didn't have the longevity. Cunningham was good but I thought Miller was better all-around. Just my opinion.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

paulksandiego wrote:I have to disagree, I'd put Miller on the Steelers all-time team. Yeah, Green was probably a better player, but he didn't have the longevity. Cunningham was good but I thought Miller was better all-around. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I'd have Miller as an easy #1. Cunningham had a 3-year span where he didn't miss many games (immortalized by John Facenda in the 1982 Steeler highlight film "...and in case anyone hasn't noticed, Bennie Cunningham has put together back-to-back GOOD SEASONS"), but otherwise he missed a ton of time with various injuries. I don't know how far back you can go with the term "TE", but Elbie Nickel would be my #2 guy if we are including closed ends from the pre-1960's.