Again, Hall of Fame Snubs and Insults

Reaser

Re: Again, Hall of Fame Snubs and Insults

Post by Reaser »

I'm not a big music fan so maybe I can't make the analogy make sense but it's pretty much the only thing that comes to mind.

- Some singer falls his way into 'making it', becomes known even though his talent says he should have never become famous.

- So another guy covers his song, changes the lyrics to "diss" him, and posts it on youtube hoping that it'll make its way to the famous guy and that he'll respond and the youtube guy will get more likes on his youtube page or maybe get his own record deal!

Sad, all the way around.

Florio: Never been a fan of his. Pushes odd agendas ad nauseam (Redskins name, for example). He's just a blogger (which literally anyone in the world with a computer and internet access can have a blog), but he went all in on doing it and got bought by NBC. Good for him. The main thing I like about his blog is that it covers transactions very well. If a practice squad player gets cut PFT has a blog post on it. Goto NFL dot com, espn, many other football sites and it isn't mentioned anywhere. So I've always gave PFT credit for that, in-between all their non-sense they still post what happened IN the NFL that day. Whether it's the 80th guy on the roster in the off-season that everyone knows will be cut soon anyways, it still gets mentioned.

Whitlock: Never been a fan of his either. The very big positive with him though is that he'll say things exactly as they are and a lot of times he'll be the only one to do it. I appreciate that, especially when 99.9% are going with the agenda and he says the truth. The negative is that he "nails it" a low percentage of the time and the rest of the time is spent fishing for controversy he can have an opinion on. Sort of what he's paid to do, but annoying, nevertheless.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Reaser wrote:
Whitlock: Never been a fan of his either. The very big positive with him though is that he'll say things exactly as they are and a lot of times he'll be the only one to do it. I appreciate that, especially when 99.9% are going with the agenda and he says the truth. The negative is that he "nails it" a low percentage of the time and the rest of the time is spent fishing for controversy he can have an opinion on. Sort of what he's paid to do, but annoying, nonetheless.
Building on that, he's also willing to risk his career for the truth. In fact, has lost jobs because of it. In his original slaying of King, if I recall, he outright stated at the beginning of the article that it could damage his career. I don't see a lot of "fishing" on his part, it's just that controversial topics is the land on which he resides.

Personally, I don't care for his focus on race and politics. Is there anything more boring than politics? Everyone has an opinion; nothing ever changes. So it seems like a big waste of time. But willing to give a guy of his race the benefit of the doubt there because I probably didn't go through the same experiences he did.

He's more than that, though. He used to have a column called "10 NFL Truths." It was masterful. Much foresight involved.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

mwald wrote:I don't see a lot of "fishing" on his part, it's just that controversial topics is the land on which he resides.

Personally, I don't care for his focus on race and politics.
Making 'everything' about race is a big reason I'm not a fan. The politics, I tune anyone out. So that's not specific to him but sure, another reason.

Like I said, controversy is sort of (or it is) his job. So I get that, just seems to pull up the controversy of the day/week and have an over-the-top opinion on it, too often for my liking. But also, when he "nails it", when he gets it right, I think to myself: "at least someone is willing to say it like it really is" ... That's where I give him credit.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

I do not particularly care for Florio, but Jason Whitlock is a total jerkoff. I would rather listen to Lassie bark and Tom Waits sing than listen to that asshat spew his idiotic nonsense.

"Keyshawn Johnson is the only 6'4" 212 pound African American possession wide receiver in NFL history."- Jason Whitlock

The Akita fesces I cleaned up out back here know more about sports than Whitlock.